1.4 TDi MPG issues

moving on from the lupo now, but asking on here as clubpolo is a bit pants and i know someone will probably be helpful here.

bought a 6n2 1.4 tdi recently and im not sure the consumption is as it should be.

online figures suggest:

Fuel consumption (urban) 48.7 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 76.3 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 62.8 mpg

after allowing for a few fill ups to get used to driving a diesel and what not i decided to try work it out.

ive worked it out to be about 48mpg, obviously this matches the urban consumption. but im not driving in what i would consider urban ways.

half of it was spent on the motorway and the rest driving around my quite spread out town, its in no way start stop driving. just driving between 30 and 50 with occasional roundabouts.

ive been driving very carefully for almost all of the tank.

is this right? i dont mind the figures im getting now as its still better than my lupo did, but i feel like maybe somethings wrong and making it worse than it should be?

obvious suggestion is im sure a service, which will be done asap.

and another question: im considering remaping the car as i hear its very easy to gain lots for not much money, how does this effect economy? anyone done it to a 1.4tdi?

any help appreciated!

Edited by Thooooom

my tdi is mapped and it does make a difference,to get really high mpg you have to drive it pretty slowly,in mine ive had up to 78mpg on my scangauge but that was over a long distance and tucking in behind trucks etc.

give it a good service and take it for a good run and see if it improves,the temps at the moment dont help because of how cold its been

What milage is it, do you know the history of the car, what wheels do you have on it?

What engin lupo did you have before?

I would say, put the right oil in it (fully synthetic 10W30 - for PD) and do the filter.

Clean out the inlet mainifold and block off the EGR.

RAG IT for a bit (20 miles once hot) after doing the above, get the engine to breath, really rev it and get it hot.

Cheers

Jon

my tdi is mapped and it does make a difference,to get really high mpg you have to drive it pretty slowly,in mine ive had up to 78mpg on my scangauge but that was over a long distance and tucking in behind trucks etc.

give it a good service and take it for a good run and see if it improves,the temps at the moment dont help because of how cold its been

i have been driving carefully though, i wasnt expecting the 75mpg like figures suggest, but higer than 50 atleast.

What milage is it, do you know the history of the car, what wheels do you have on it?

What engin lupo did you have before?

I would say, put the right oil in it (fully synthetic 10W30 - for PD) and do the filter.

Clean out the inlet mainifold and block off the EGR.

RAG IT for a bit (20 miles once hot) after doing the above, get the engine to breath, really rev it and get it hot.

Cheers

Jon

milage is 101,000. i have most history for the car, and currently on the standard wheels with 165 tyres i think.

lupo engine was a 1.4 16v 75bhp petrol.

yeah ill make sure the right oil goes in on its service, but hopefully its already the correct stuff! haha. What is the benefit of blocking off EGR? i always hear of people do it but am not sure what i will gain. Also what would the benefit of ragging it be? to clear it out?

thanks

I think the theory behind ragging it every now and then is that it clears out most of the pipes from all the crap that's just been sitting there due to slow driving.

I've done it in my Arosa a few times and it seemed to make a difference the nest time I drove it

I think the theory behind ragging it every now and then is that it clears out most of the pipes from all the crap that's just been sitting there due to slow driving.

I've done it in my Arosa a few times and it seemed to make a difference the nest time I drove it

Ragging it like near top speed, or just driving faster in lower gears?

Edited by Skezza

i just drove faster in lower gears since my area isnt very police friendly, so floor it up to 60mph haha, then i filled it up since it was running on fumes, and the morning after it drove smooth as a babies bum