SDI Economy Remapping

Skezza

What kind of economy have people achieved with a remap for fuel efficiency? I've got no interest in gaining +3BHP or something pathetic, however I'm quite interested in looking at an SDI and then getting it remapped for ultra high fuel efficiency. If they can get 60-70 which people have reported already, what about 75?

It probably will get those figures, but it will take so long to recoup the cost of the map its barely worth it.

Would be quicker if you did uber mileage, but if you did then you wouldn't have bought a Lupo.

It probably will get those figures, but it will take so long to recoup the cost of the map its barely worth it.

Would be quicker if you did uber mileage, but if you did then you wouldn't have bought a Lupo.

I do about 76 miles a day, sometimes more. Going to work and back. To be honest, I bought my Lupo because it was cheap. However I think they're fun too :D so I'd go for another even though I do fairly long distance :)

Make sure the tyres are at the right pressure, only carry what you need to and keep on top of servicing.

It will probably be a better route than 200-300 quid for a remap on an sdi

Make sure the tyres are at the right pressure, only carry what you need to and keep on top of servicing.

It will probably be a better route than 200-300 quid for a remap on an sdi

Hey Scotty cheers for your response,

Obviously I'm only considering an SDI at this point but there is one cheap near me. A big thing with Diesels is the servicing, so I'd keep on top of that, also I'd definitely only use the 5w40 synth oil as well, supposed to be ultimate protection and efficiency. I noticed in another thread that someone suggested over pumping slightly to 42 rear and 40 front, would that improve economy or would they slip at that pressure? It was only a thought on the remap. Most have gone for remaps on performance, but really, the SDI is just an efficient beast and that's what it needs to be. For what it's worth Ive seen a company on the Internet pricing at £149.99 which isn't bad, but they also claimed that they could get an extra 18BHP and extra economy out of it so I happen to smell a bit of bullshit, especially when I know people have tried on here and failed miserably. I think the most I've seen on here with a remap plus mods is 7BHP ?

I know. I saw that one a while back. It's been on for a few weeks I think. It's so desperately tempting, especially as you know for a fact VW won't make any more. They should, because in this modern day of eco-warriors and Toyota Prius', the Lupo 3L would be a smash hit, it just didn't quite come out at the right time. Not enough people were exploiting global warming lol. It's priced very competitively, when you consider the price of a Prius or even a new diesel. Unfortunately, I just don't think I can afford near 5k. I imagine if I could, I'd have bought a GTI by now lol anyway, because money wouldn't be a worry haha. The left hand drive business always put me off, but the 94MPG is insane, 84MPG is low haha, brilliant. An engineering masterpiece no doubt. If I had more money, I'd buy it, and store it in a sealed secure garage, rather than use it as a daily. Take it shows only maybe because the mileage on this kid is very low too. They will be so rare soon that the few remaining need to be kept tidy.

I heard VW are on about releasing a new economy concept car, which will be called the 1L. Apparently, it's supposed to be almost empty and featureless. Only two seats in a line, no luggage space and a very limited dash board (don't even think it has a radio). At least the Lupo 3L was an actual car that you'd be willing to take people in, this sounds like something you really could just use to get to work and back but nothing else.

I think you can get the A2 with the 1.2 tdi in cant you?

Correct. They built just over 6000 of them... There isn't a single one on eBay or Gumtree as far as I can see.

Out of curiosity, what's the optimum revs and speed for the Lupo SDI? I read that doing under 2000 in 5th might actually produce less good economy figures than doing between 55-60 or simply dropping down a gear so you're always at about 2k revs?

The SDI is not the most efficient engine out there, the 1.4 tdi will use less fuel, but both will use a lot more fuel then a 1.9tdi in a golf etc (VE or PD engine) if you rag it and carry loads of weight, so dont by the SDI expecting 70mpg, you wont get it, not unless you live on a marsh and are prepared to go stupid slow.

The main reason the 3L uses so little fuel is it weight is very low, the engine is very light also, the car has a small TDI engine with variable vain turbo, unlike the 1.4tdi, note TDI not SDI, and has a computer controling the gear box, including putting the car into cruise, ie not in gear. the clutch on the sdi is cable and very heavy to keep knocking in and out of gear.

people will tell you they get this mpg and that mpg and about so many miles per tank, but unless you track every tank you wont know. I have an SDI and I have had it chiped as the SDI without it is not a safe car for moden day traffic. I get about 55mpg and I dont get in other drivers way but I had a mk3 tdi golf estate with 120hp and got 50mpg. For what I lost in space and power, the sdi economy is not much of a saving.

oh and heres the evidance:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/otherpower/golf

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/otherpower/lupo

Cheers

Jon

I think he probably means for overtaking like an idiot without due care. If it's about anything else with normally driving, then I don't know what he's talking about.

Also Other-power, I think your lack of decent MPG is down to your car being 'chipped', which is nowhere near the same thing as a remap. The only things like that do is overfuel. At the moment all I have going on is a K&N air filter, and the rest is standard, and it's still nippy enough. Not the same as the GTTDI, but I don't drive it as such.

You can easily overtake in an SDI when its safe to do, so I don't get that? It's far better for overtaking than the 1.0L.

Edited by Skezza

Indeed it is. That and you can sitting easily at 80mph on the motorway, and not have fear of it blowing up doing so.