Central Locking Issue

Landroverwolf

I'm now the owner of an SDI S, already taken a big shine to the car however there are few little niggly bits with the central locking. The women selling it did mention it wasn't perfect but was sufficient for 90% of use. I'm fairly sure it's not a VAGCOM fixable issue, and I'm fairly sure the locks are mechanically sound (you'll see why below) so I'm guessing it's a wiring issue, most probably in the passenger door, but it could be the drivers side, if anyone has any experience or has seen this before I'd really be grateful for the help.

So here's the current locking pattern, if I:

• Lock the drivers side door with the key, the passenger door locks and the boot locks, so the car is secure. WORKING
  • Unlock the drivers side door with the key, the passenger door unlocks and the boot unlocks. WORKING
  • Unlock the passengers side door with the key, the drivers side door doesn't unlock, the boot doesn't unlock, the immobilizer stays activated. NOT WORKING.
  • Lock the car from the inside using the switch on the drivers door, the drivers door locks, the boot locks, the passenger door locks, then unlocks immediately. NOT WORKING
  • Unlock the car from the inside using the switch on the drivers door (having already pressed the peg on the passenger door), unlocks the drivers door, passenger door and boot. WORKING

The only tests I haven't tried yet is locking the car from the passenger side door when it's fully open and locking and unlocking the car from the boot. Luckily, the working scenarios above (especially the top two) are the most important really, but I still think it's worth getting it sorted.

The fact the mechanism seems to work when using the key from the driver door, does that suggest a wiring issue? Also, the fact that the immobilizer stays active when unlocking using the passenger door, does that suggest the wiring issue is located in the passenger door rather than the drivers door?

I put a cheap VAGCOM on it yesterday and got no faults regarding central locking. Does this suggest it's something else? Maybe mechanical :( ?

I read somewhere that whipping the fuse out my fix it, but could it make it worse? It's surely worth fixing it before it gets to be something worse though.

Any help would be great! :)

Edited by Landroverwolf

sounds like a faulty microswitch on passenger door lock, its not registering that the lock has been operated, if you have access to vagcom (even cheap one) go to central locking and open "measuring blocks" then go through them till you find the ones for the central locking outputs, then operate each lock and check that the lock is operating on vagcom, it will be obvious which lock is faulty.

if it is a lock microswitch, and your handy, you can change the switch, otherwise just replace whole lock mech

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with the wifes arosa. When you lock it on the drivers side it is hit & miss whether the other locks operate, although oddly it has been much better since I put a new battery on? I'm getting a new remote fob coded later today and hoping that fixes the issue when you lock/unlock using that.

Unfortunately, the guy I had service the car said he couldn't fix it (not sure how much he tried, although I did ask him). So its up to me, or an auto electrician, or if someone can give me any tips from the details above lol. It's probably a loose wire, but I think without a diagram and multimeter I won't find out whats going on

I know the safe thing is to do with deadlocking, but exactly what I'm not sure.

Edited by Landroverwolf

Anything here, strangely it says the passenger door is always locked, even when unlocked:

measblocks.png

thats the fault :thumbup: if the passenger door is showing locked all the time it means the micro swich has gone in the passenger door lock, from the description above if your unlocking the passenger door and nothing else is unlocking thats because the car thinks the door is still locked. put a new door lock mech in the passenger side (or if your handy a new microswitch)

99 times out of a hundred its the microswitch on the lock if you have tried that and its still showing locked on vagcom then next is convience module or wiring, either way you will have to remove the module from behind the dash to check wiring or replace module (if yours has remote locking i have spare module here pm me for details)