Size stereo/head unit

Single and double DIN fit fine, if you want double DIN you will have to take out the cup holders, I have a Sony double DIN in my build thread if you want to look :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There's a few different double dins you can fit. They usually come with a cage, or you can go for the FP-17-00 which makes it look a bit more OEM. I'll upload a few photos of my new one when I get chance.

There are companies making replica MFD1's with different software and bigger screen etc, but going for that OEM feel, so you could always go for one of them, then a cage wouldn't be needed. Personally, I've never been that impressed with the MFD1 (I know, I know) but it's up to you really.

Edited by Skezza

I've never been that impressed with the MFD1 (I know, I know)

Sound wise it's pretty good for OEM, just the interface is nasty and the satnav is shocking. But given how old the design of the unit is, this isn't surprising.

Sound wise it's pretty good for OEM, just the interface is nasty and the satnav is shocking. But given how old the design of the unit is, this isn't surprising.

The sound is adequate but nothing revolutionary. The interface is like something out of the 1980s. I have a feeling the guy who designed it was a big DOS fan who loved those old menu driven computer systems. The satnav is dreadful, but then again, most bespoke sat nav systems are. The best sat nav software is off-the-shelf such as iGo Primo, Garmin and Sygic. They've had years and years of development, with thousands of hours research on heuristic algorithms. I assure you that some muppet at Mercedes who reckons he can make a pretty in-dash sat nav system for their newest car will not be able to make a better one. The same extends to VW.

Edited by Skezza