Help!! How to remove egr valve 1.0 lupo

s11ybm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, have you got this off yet? If not I might be able to help as i've just finished taking my EGR Valve and throttle body off and cleaned all the crud off them. What is your engine? Mine is the MPI with engine code AUC.

Did you lose any coolant? have heard the egr is water cooled....

Hi, have you got this off yet? If not I might be able to help as i've just finished taking my EGR Valve and throttle body off and cleaned all the crud off them. What is your engine? Mine is the MPI with engine code AUC.

Nope not yet...Its MPI..not sure of the engine code..will need to check.

How did you remove your EGR Valve?

Sorry about the delay in responding but I didn't get an email from this site to say anyone had replied.

Ok here goes,

To take the EGR valve off of mine there were four bolts on the back of the valve which needed to come off. Don't be fooled by the two small screws on the top of it that you can see, these don't hold the egr valve on, they just hold the two parts of the valve together and if you take these two screws off and force the valve you will break it!

If you look from the back of the EGR, you will see the metal pipe coming from it, going round the back of the engine and back into the throttle body on top of the engine. There are two bolts which hold that pipe onto the EGR valve, Remove them, these are the easy ones!

After taking these off have a feel in the opposite corners of the valve for two more bolts the same size. They are very difficult to see but if you feel around you will find them. All of the bolts have round heads with an allen key slot.

The easiest way I found to loosen them was to put the short end of an allen key in the slot, with the long end pointing upwards out of the engine bay, put a pair of pliers on that and twist it anti-clockwise as there is no room to get your hand in and get the purchase needed.

Make sure when you take it off to be carefull of the gasket between the valve and the engine block, and, also the little gasket between the valve and the metal pipe as they'll drop into the engine bay and can be difficult to find again!

s11ybm I hope this helps you a little and if you have any other questions i'd be happy to help. If this doesn't make any sense then let me know and i'll try to take some pictures but I just couldn't face going out and taking the tools out again!

@joeadamou yes it is water cooled and you do lose a bit of coolant when you loosen it but it's only about a litre so nothing mad and as long as you top up after your finished then it's no major hassle.

@joeadamou yes it is water cooled and you do lose a bit of coolant when you loosen it but it's only about a litre so nothing mad and as long as you top up after your finished then it's no major hassle.

Cheers for that, where abouts does the coolant come out from?

From the join between the block and the EGR valve. Just make sure the plastic cap on the gearbox crankcase is closed over the inspection hole or it will all pour in there.

Don't listen to him, it's not forum appropriate.