Lupo GTI Xenon headlight auto leveling

Rob GTI

Unfortunately I had a coming together with a small deer one morning a couple of weeks ago. I managed to slow down quite a lot but it still hit just below the drivers side headlight. The bumper has a little damage but not too bad. I lost the cap that goes over the headlight washer jet. The headlight appeared to be undamaged on first inspection.

However, since driving in the dark for the first time, I have realised that the auto-leveling has stopped working. When you turn the lights on standing outside the car you can hear the motor whir, but the drivers side light does not rise to the correct level.

Could someone explain how these work on the Lupo please? Is the auto-leveling inside the headlight unit itself, and does it sound like I will need a complete replacement unit?

They shouldn't move when you tun them on, like some cars that sweep through the range.

Adjust it using the wheels and see if it sorts itself out

Ah, ok, thats interesting. When you turn them on you can certainly hear a little motor running on both sides which I assumed was sweeping through the range, as you say like other cars.

Could you expand a little on what you mean by adjusting it using the wheels please? :cheers:

Ah, ok, thats interesting. When you turn them on you can certainly hear a little motor running on both sides which I assumed was sweeping through the range, as you say like other cars.

Could you expand a little on what you mean by adjusting it using the wheels please? :cheers:

the wheels that allow you to move the headlights up and down next to your dipped and main beam switch

if it has self leveling it wont have the adjusting wheel inside the car

sounds like the headlamp has poped of the motor, you will need to take the headlamp out and see if the ball on the end of the motor is still attached to the headlamp, sounds like it isnt, if your lucky it will pop back on

sounds like the headlamp has poped of the motor, you will need to take the headlamp out and see if the ball on the end of the motor is still attached to the headlamp, sounds like it isnt, if your lucky it will pop back on

That sounds a bit more like it, cheers :thumbsup:

Is there a guide on here, or some pictures of a xenon headlight taken apart? :thumbup:

It doesn't have a wheel inside the car, it has two wheels on each headlamp unit.

It does not do a sweep when you turn it on, it saves the position from when it was switched off. If you put a couple of fat lads in the back it will adjust itself on the fly - there is a sensor on the rear axle

Edited by Defcon5

On each headlight there are two white plastic wheels, you use an Allen key to turn the to adjust the height and direction of each beam.

I once hit a pothole that made one xenon point at the floor (I think it had come off the runners as mentioned above) , I turned the wheel to its lowest height and it popped in and sorted itself out.

Here's a how to to dismantle the xenon, youll only need the first few steps for the motor.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74232&pid=878956&st=0entry878956

If you need to adjust the white screws above the light, the screws nearest the engine bay adjust the height and the ones closest to the wings adjust the left and right. If they were set up right before I would try the motors before adjusting the screws, the motors aren't too difficult to get too once the bumpers off.

Once you've checked out the headlight motor, you will probably need to redo your range adjustment. Just turning the wheels on the back of the headlight won't work unless the controller is set to allow adjustments.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html

• 3 weeks later...

I once hit a pothole that made one xenon point at the floor (I think it had come off the runners as mentioned above) , I turned the wheel to its lowest height and it popped in and sorted itself out.

I tried this as a last chance before taking the bumper off and it worked :) had the ignition turned on and the lights on. Kept on turning it until the motor whirred and then I wound it back up to about level with the other one.

Thanks for the help :)

I tried this as a last chance before taking the bumper off and it worked :) had the ignition turned on and the lights on. Kept on turning it until the motor whirred and then I wound it back up to about level with the other one.

Thanks for the help :)

Nobody believed me did they!

Anytime mate.