what machine polishers do people use?

Tobs23

If you've never used a rotary, buy yourself a DA. The risk of causing paint damage with a DA is far smaller but it will take a little more work to achieve the same level of finish as a rotary would give. I know I'd rather spend another hour polishing than pay to have a panel resprayed because I've burned through the laquer!

Get yourself a a spotting back plate, spotting and full size polishing pads and cutting pads and a couple of grades of polish to go with them and you're good to go

I use a Das6 Pro

I also use the DAS6 Pro. You can buy on its own or with polishes and pads as starter packs. I got the intro one with a hard, medium and final finish pads, 5" and 6.5" backing plates or different size pads and menzerna course and final finish polishes. Everything you need to get started really :)

As said a DA almost eliminates any risk of damaging your paint whereas a rotary can quite easily burn the laquer and paint.

Alex

Edited by fatttty

• 5 months later...

Bad comments lol ^^^ its the pads you use and the pressure you apply to the machine polisher that burns the Laquir off I work with respray's and we polish them after with a rotary machine polisher if you go in like a bull in a chiner shop and dont take your time then your going to course paint damage. You don't need to apply pressure at all just glid it along the paint work when you see that it's shiny move on to the other bits. There's only a certen amount of shine your going to get on a car no matter how many times you polish a panel it's not about the price of the machine it's the speed of which it turns and the technique you use to polish it.

Bad comments lol ^^^ its the pads you use and the pressure you apply to the machine polisher that burns the Laquir off I work with respray's and we polish them after with a rotary machine polisher if you go in like a bull in a chiner shop and dont take your time then your going to course paint damage. You don't need to apply pressure at all just glid it along the paint work when you see that it's shiny move on to the other bits. There's only a certen amount of shine your going to get on a car no matter how many times you polish a panel it's not about the price of the machine it's the speed of which it turns and the technique you use to polish it.

The comments aren't bad at all. What you say is true to a certain extent but it is far far easier to damage paint with a rotary than it is a DA. If you take your time with a rotary, use the right products and technique then the finish can be top notch - some say superior to a DA. The DA however, is a much safer and easier machine to use in the hands of a novice.

There's also a difference between getting a shine and actually correcting the paint. I'm not knocking your work but generally painters won't finish the paint to anywhere near as good as a detailer.

The finish you actually get also relies on so many different elements, from the base coat of the paint right the way through to the final layer of wax.