forged...

sam-gti

Hi, how's it going ? I'm new to this but have a question.... Has anyone forged all the internals on a avy gti before ? If so any help would be useful. I'm contemplating forging and looking for about 180 bhp but keeping it n/a ... Anyone got a ball park figure ? Cheers. Sam.

Hi sam, how are you today. How would you be planning on getting 180 bhp from an AVY? I don't think anyone has done a turbo conversion on here, but they have been supercharged, which can lead to that sorta bhp and above, best thing to do is read through Andyp's build thread or caspers build thread(if you have a spare year)to give you an idea on internal work, as for price, it's unlikely any ball park figure will be close. HTH

That figure could be achieved with forged conrods and pistons for sure, bearing in mind you'd need high-lift cams and throttle bodys, head work (probably best of with the AFH head). Standalone ecu and custom mapping would be a must.. You'd be able to rev to around 8500k with forged internals without any real issues, you better be prepared to spend a fortune though.

Mike

• Like 1

Cheers for replying dudes :) well I know I would need tbs and stand alone ecu and all that jazz I was just going to try and get as much power out of a naturally aspirated engine as all my mates run turbos and I'm not too far behind with pretty much a standard car bar lowering springs.... (I know I didn't have the money for coilovers) and a panle filter.

Well a start would be a performance manifold and decent cat back system.. Coupled with a decent induction kit this should see you at around 135-145 BHP which makes a huge difference.. If your struggling to afford decent coilovers i would seriously consider whether you can afford the work you mentioned in the original post, this would cost around £3500.

Mike

If you havnt got the money for coilovers mate you havnt got the money for 180bhp from a NA engine.

Your looking about 4k+ in my opinion? For that kind of money you would be better off going for forced induction. Maybe even spend another 3k and have a 20v fitted

Edited by Piers

Pistons and conrods would be £1800ish, a pair of cams are £700 off the shelf but im pretty sure Piper offer blank's which they machine to any spec for £450. Jenvey's would set you back about £500 and you'd need a manifold machining as you cant use direct to head bodies due to the port spacing.. Headwork would be around £500 for a decent job. A cheap standalone ECU would be £500 and decent mapping another £500. You'd need to convert the pedal box from fly by wire to cable aswell, so unless you have deep pockets and are capable of carrying out the majority of the work yourself id seriously reconsider your plans. I dont agree with the comment that it would be a similar price for a forced induction conversion as you'd need almost all the components mentioned when supercharging anyway and most likely would spend another £3-4k on top of that..

Mike

Edited by Thissy

Thanks for replying! I know I've already started saving for it, done some research and know a bit about it just thought I'd ask you guys first, as you have far more experience than I do. I'm good with tools and engines so can do a majority of work myself as I've rebuild engines before now. Thanks for taking me seriously for those that did. For those that didn't, after saving £5300 for car and insurance and little tweaks to make the car more personal to myself I don't think taking the car off the road and saving for the above work is an issue...... Just saying. Thanks again to those who didn't take the p**s

IMO, you could go to 180bhp on standard internals with forced induction, provided exhaust temperatures were watched.

The AVY head will be pants for high revs, although they were used in the cup cars but had a large amount of work done to them. The roller rocker arrangement isn't designed for it TBH.

The problem with cams is the inlet cam and it's stupid advance switch, from what I've herd cat cams have failed so far to produce a cam that's worked, and I think I've only herd of a few with schrick cams fitted.

There are off the shelf forged wossner pistons for the ARC engine which is the same bore size, and they drop the compression to 8.5:1 but I don't know of anyone that's fitted them to an AVY.

Rods... Well I spent £1100 on mine but there overkill, they will still be in one bit when the engine disintegrates around it. You could get a set for a lot less.

There is another option... Getting 1.8T pistons? I looked at this, they would need bushing for the difference in piston pin size but it could work.

John

John, if you used the AFH head with its conventional bucket tappets and got cams for that head can you just lose the VVT on the inlet cam when mapping? Cams for the AFH head seem to be much more aggressive for some reason? Some of the duration figures on the inlet cam i've seen have been ridiculous! Not that i see that as an advantage in that if you wanted to maintain drivability.. I only ask as i cant imagine it does a great deal anyway as its not noticeable on the Gti too me, certainly nothing like a Civic or other cars with VVT.. Would make it much easier and cheeper to source cams and i'd be more confident asking the lights of Piper to manufacture a pair of cams to the same spec as the Schrick equivalent if they didn't have the VVT incorporate.. Id only be interested in getting something made to 'fast road' spec like the 256/252 ones schrick produce and then getting a custom map on the standard ECU. That should see you at over 150bhp with the other obvious modifications and give your more torque too. After that it seems to get expensive for little gains..

Mike

Edited by Thissy

Yeah that would be the best way IMO. Ysing the AFH head makes it easier for cams and set up.

The VVT in the lupo isn't really VVT to be honest, but it does make a difference, look at my power curve below. This was just before the charger spat its guts.

The dotted line is with VVT enabled, so you can see what the increase in inlet timing does. It doesn't really make more power, but moves the torque lower down the rev range.

powergraph.jpg