Replacing Front Disc and pads

I am planning on changing the discs/pads on my 1.4 Lupo(Y).

A couple of questions

What size are the bolts that hold the caliper on and are they normal nuts or hex nuts. I heared they were 10mm?

Would you normally loosen the cap on the brake fluid reservoir before resetting pistons?

Where is the copper grease meant to be applied?

Anything else I should know before starting?

Cant remember the bolt size. They are normal ones.

Yes you need to remove the cap, and put a rag round it if its full to the brim.

Copper grease to the back of the pad.

You will need a breaker bar or the strength of a thousand bears to crack the bolts.

If it's a non-sport then you will need an allen key to undo the caliper, can't remember the size but it's a common one, possibly 6mm.

And if you forget to remove the cap on the brake fluid reservoir then it doesn't matter, you will still be able to push the piston back.

Yeah, I don't bother with removing the fluid cap, you can usually push the piston back by hand -just give your brakes a pump when you first turn the car over afterwards so they bite properly.

Once you've got your wheels off, all you need for changing the 239mm discs, is the aforementioned Allen key -I use a torx ratchet tool as the caliper sliding bolts are sometimes a little stiff (put copper grease on these if they haven't already when putting back on) and a phillips screwdriver to remove the screw that keeps the brake disc in place. Maybe that and a rubber mallet if the caliper is a little stiff and refuses to budge off the carrier/hub. Oh and some elbow grease.

It's also easier to remove the bolts if you have the car on full lock on for each side, that way the caliper is facing more or less outwards.

Edited by Hazy