Idling troubles

polariskid

My Loop isn't idling well at all at the moment. On petrol or LPG. It dips down to 500 and then shoots back up to 1k once a second. I know my spark plugs are about a year old now so I've got some NGK Iridiums on order (not sure if this could be the problem) . But i was wondering if anyone else could shine some light on the situtation? The only other thing I can think of is I did buy my BMC 2nd hand and i don't think it's been cleaned by the previous owner. Any idea on how to clean one? As it may be dodgy air flow.

Cheers,

Tom

Well I've got my new plugs... Iridium's obviously better suited to the LPG due to the higher burning temp. She flys! but still idles terribly :L I'm gonna have it apart at the weekend and check the inlet manifold. Think one of the injectors might not have an air tight seal into it. Either way I'm gonna go with what you've done Amber and still get some new HT's and coilpack. No point doing the plugs without that :)

For the BMC: Get the filter element out, spray it with some degreaser (AG engine and machine cleaner works well) and let it sit for 5 mins, the run a bucket of hot soapy water and throw it in and leave it for another 5, then give it a good old shake around in the bucket and all the oil will come out. Then, rinse with clean water until no bubbles are coming out of it (i.e. all the soap has gone).

Next, i dried mine with a hair dryer. Needs to be bone dry so keep at it mine took about 30 mins! or i guess you could leave it overnight if you aren't using the car. Once completely dry, bang it (not too hard) on the floor (intake side down) to remove any brake dust and general debris. Do this repeatedly until **** stops coming out. Finally, get some filter oil, oil it up according to instructions for your type of oil and then re assemble :)

I would recommend a K&N recharger kit which includes filter cleaner and oil :)

Much appreciated Joe :) I shall do just that tomorrow. In the mean while, when removing the old spark plugs i found one was covered in oil...... Am i right in thinking rocker cover gasket?....

Unfortunately this sounds like valve stem seals as I have the same problem (and my mechanic boyfriend has diagnosed the problem as that) which is a very common issue on lupos :(

I'm getting my engine rebuild in the winter to get it all sorted, other than that there's not much you can do I don't think :\

Ouch. Hmmm..... Will have to source a 1.8T sooner than expected then. Untill then, Drive'n on :P

Haha don't blame you.

I drive at least 60 miles a day and my car still lives so I'm sure it'll be fine for a while, it'll just use a lot of oil!

Much appreciated Joe :) I shall do just that tomorrow. In the mean while, when removing the old spark plugs i found one was covered in oil...... Am i right in thinking rocker cover gasket?....

where was the Oil. around the Top of the Plug or where the spark happens?

if top of the plug its rocker cover

if not then its and engine problem and could well be linked to how its running.

Haha don't blame you.

I drive at least 60 miles a day and my car still lives so I'm sure it'll be fine for a while, it'll just use a lot of oil!

I'm doing just under 100, so i think mine's gonna deteriorate a little bit faster :/ ..... Maybe i should get that 1.8 now :P

where was the Oil. around the Top of the Plug or where the spark happens?

if top of the plug its rocker cover

if not then its and engine problem and could well be linked to how its running.

It was on the thread of the spark plug. And it can't have been old grease because it was just the one that had it on

Had similar trouble with idling with my loop, oil on the top of thread on plugs a trip down to the local retailer and a £5 insta gasket as loops don't have rocker covers.

clean the head of guns and slap it on replace head and away no problems since.