1.0 lupo - egr fault

Lubilu

hi all,

need some help. girlfriend 1.0 lupo started to become hard to start, now its misfiring. ive scanned it with vagcom and its come up with the following errors.

Chassis Type: 6X - VW Lupo

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,25,35

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 030 906 032 CP

Component: ME7.5.10 4702

Coding: 00001

Shop #: WSC 00221

WVWZZZ6XZ3B043774 VWZ1Z0B2368485

3 Faults Found:

17852 - Potentiometer for EGR (G212): Implausible Signal

P1444 - 35-00 - -

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0300 - 35-00 - -

16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

P0302 - 35-00 - -

Readiness: 1110 0101

where is the egr valve located, i know its expensive so hope it just needs a clean. also would this cause the car to misfire. had a random/multiple misfire on cylinder 2 and was a mystery how i got rid of it after changing ht leads, plugs and coil pack, it didnt go. but put old ht leads back on and it went - now its back.

any help appreciated.

engine doesnt appear to be overheating. idle is erratic, you can hear and feel it misfiring. When revved the misfire is noticable and as the revs climb vaguely getting better but its still there.

VAGCOM is showing an egr fault, so clearly that is an issue. but then vagcom is also showing a random/multiple misfire on cylinder 2 only.

hope its not something like valve seats.

Yeah the egr's clearly an issue so take it out give it a clean and check codes. If the egr fault's still there try replace the valve. Might be able to to get it cheap from a scrappy. Read codes again, see if problem is solved.

As for the missfire you say you've already changed the leads, plugs and coil pack. Next most likely thing would be fuel injectors/ fuel filter/ fuel pump. Try the cheapest option first and see what happens.

When was it last serviced?

Yeah the egr's clearly an issue so take it out give it a clean and check codes. If the egr fault's still there try replace the valve. Might be able to to get it cheap from a scrappy. Read codes again, see if problem is solved.

As for the missfire you say you've already changed the leads, plugs and coil pack. Next most likely thing would be fuel injectors/ fuel filter/ fuel pump. Try the cheapest option first and see what happens.

When was it last serviced?

Yeah thats the plan tonight to clean the valve out and see whats what. Fingers crossed.

About 18 months ago, this misfire issue occurred. I change coilpack, plugs and leads, no better. Struggled to start in the end. RAC came and got it started, albeit roughly. I then changed back to the old HT leads and it sorted it. It was almost as if the new HT leads were faulty, or one was. But it was a bit of a lucky fix which i dont 100% know how it got fixed.

Just appears to have come back.

It is due for a service, oil and filter change, but this isnt much relevance. Plugs were done 18 months ago as above.

Edited by Lubilu

Actually i'm talking crap. The egr could be causing a vacuum leak and hence causing a misfire.

I asked about the service because a clogged fuel filter can cause low fuel pressure and cause a misfire.

Egr seems the likely culprit. All the best mate.

Im so glad youve said that! :-D

Ah ok, i see now. Yes thats a good point, not sure when that was last changed. :)

Thanks for the responses Peter

Edited by Lubilu

Well cleaned and replaced the EGR and its still the same, infact the difference between before and after cleaning is that the car struggles to idle now, so i think a new EGR is needed. Bummer

Join the club, i had mine replaced last year, i did the coil pack and leads as well and it also resolved a under lying issues of the car burning oil. Only fill with optimax from now on.

• 5 weeks later...

Well a little updated on this and its not sounding good.

i got anew egr - £135 inc vat and that was with a a mates discount who works at ECP. normally they're £200+ [shocked]

Anyway, the EGR didnt solve anything other than the EGR fault code - all good. but its still misfiing and idling rough, still getting misfire on cylinder 2 according to vagcom. i tried swapping lead 1 and 2 around and still get cylinder 2. tried switching the plugs around too and still the same. though this time cylinder 1 was also showing on vagcom (???).

So spoke to my mechanic and inspite of what ive done above he seems to think that the only thing it can be is a valve issue. to confirm this im borrowing a compression tester from the mechanic and will see what the readings are later.

As you can imagine this doesnt fill with me joy. getting the head off and refurbing it is going to be alot of £££. Any idea how much a cylinder head refurb will be?

sorry i wasnt clear. it didnt move, it still showed misfire on cylinder 1 as well as 2. But it was odd that cylinder one showed as a misfire on vagcom at least.

my next steps is indeed to change the leads and the plugs too. but ive been through this before and it didnt help.

• 4 weeks later...

SORTED**

New plugs and leads and no more misfire. Not sure if the EGR was a red herring, but it was showing randomly on vagcom. Still its changed so no need to worry about it for a good few years. EML finally turned off too - it had been on for a good couple of years, even when there was no misfire, car was running fine.