warm start problems :(

smileysara

hi hope you guys can help had a look through the forum and cant find anything to help :(

heres the problem during warmer weather i drive to town am out car for little while but when i get back in it dont wanna start

my other half got me (saying i need to learn how) to change air filter(was caked in oil looked like never been replaced) didnt help so then changed plugs (with recomended 1s) leasds and then coil pack

seemed fine durning the winter am guessing the cold helped but now as getting warmer starting to do it again and getting anoyin as am stuck until can get it sorted also when it dose start theres a strong petrol smell to top it off sometimes it will fire up only to cough and die

were stuck for the cause of the problem could it be air temp sensor or cold start sensor problem (other half had same problem on his old civic turned out to be sensor)

cheers for looking

oh its a 1.4 75hp lupo cant remember the engine code sorry

Well Im tempted to say its some kind of fuelling issue, but given the apparent lack of servicing that this car has had it could be a multitude of things.

Scan it for fault codes, see what it throws up.

its been serviced by other half oil changes plugs when needed n all that gonna look at fuel filter come payday...did take it to a garage did a scan for codes and found nothing and typically it started fine for the whole day they had it :(

thanx for help tho :)

not tht i know of and no blue smoke was jus thoughts wanna tick off as many things as pos before i bite bullet n try a garage again... will do compression test at wknd jus to be sure then will be onto trying sensors and taking a look at earthing wires jus incase of weak spark

still think its a sensor either air temp or cold start sensor

I'd defintely try water temp sensor, my brothers GTi and mine both had these symptoms. any slight temperture still in the engine I.e if the temp gauge shows above 70 it electrically doesn't open the throttle, My guessing yours might be complete flyby wire? The GTi was any it expierenced it much worse than mine... Just a suggestion, but for the price of £5 on ebay its worth a try :)

Hi Smileysara,

I would say that you are experiencing over fuelling problems in the warmer weather. I'd replace the coolant temperature sensor, as this sensor has a number of fuctions. One of the main ones being, that it sends the water temperature to the engine ECU (the electrical brain) If this sensor is faulty, the sensor can send incorrect info to the ECU, resulting in problems of this nature. (i.e. over fuelling, rough running, poor idling etc)

I take it that the fuel consumption has been somewhat high? I'd try a sensor first with a new sealing ring. Then if the problem persists ask your local garage to clean the throttle body out, or you can attempt this yourself, although it is a rather delecate job to carry out. I can go into further detail about this if you wish.

Let me know if so, as it get's a bit technical lol. If you'd like to PM me with your Lupo's registration number, l'll see how much a new coolant temperature sensor is for you, as they do differ between the models.

Regards, Dale.

(Thanks Defcon5)