Battery isn't charging after replacing clutch. Dead Battery or Alternator?

Hey Guys,

I recently swapped my clutch in my Lupo 1.7 sdi , the battery was disconnected for around a week and left outside, after putting everything back together it started after a slight delay but chugged along fine after starting.

I've since travelled a few short journeys as well as a motorway trip (65miles give or take) each time it took a second to start until the other day, i tried to start it the other day when it was snowy/icy and the car just wouldn't fire up. I may have gotten slightly frustrated and gave it a few more goes until the battery was pretty much flat.

I've since used a Battery charger to charge the Battery and it charges, and cleaned the terminals with baking soda and added grease to the terminals, the car then started straight away, because i didn't want to drain the battery any more i gave it a 40min / 15 mile run.

I come to it today and it just won't fire up, it tries to start but no joy :( . I'm looking on ebay for new battery but don't want to waste my money if it's something else.

What you think guys? Did i just mess the battery up ? was it the cold ? or is there a possibility i might of messed up putting everything back together when changing the clutch?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by lowpo

is the earth connected back onto the gearbox correctly, and the cold snap kill's worn old batteries

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I think the earth is connected back correctly, i was slightly gung ho when removing it, so not 100% sure it's connected back in the same way :blush: , the earth is connected though. I'm currently waiting on a multimeter so i can test nick123's suggestion, it should be above 12v at very least and more like 14v with the car running right ?

well i got a friends multimeter, the readings are good (14v + ) so it's not the alternator this time it seems, i swapped the battery for a new one and things are better.

The heater coil light now goes off straight away so it looks like it was the battery. On a cold -2°c or so day it still takes a 2nd try to get the engine started with some grey smoke out the back, so we also tested the glow plug voltage too, 2 were in the 100s volts while the outer 2 on both sides were really low like 0.1v and 1.0v . I might swap the glow plugs also, so i can get everything running smoothly again :) thanks all for the posts :)

hi lowpo, a simple way to check you alternator working, turn on you headlights, and rev the engine, they will get slightly brighter then dim as you rev the 12 to 13/14ish volt change.

the way to test your glow plugs is to check the resiatance of them using a meter, one lead to the engine block the other lead to the tip of the plug you shoulg get a low resistance value id think a single digit value, ill check mine later.

white/greyish smoke usualy unburnt fuel, so it does sound as maby a few knackered.

just out of interest what mpg do you get from your sdi?

Edited by jonisonvespa

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all,

Sorry i wasn't getting emails from here! The battery was shot but after i swapped the 2 old glow plugs it starts like a dream (4x£3 on ebay!) my friend tested the resistance and it was high on two and low on the other two, for good measure i swapped the all :)

I've had my clutch, battery and glow plugs go since xmas, and now my drivers door lock spindle has snapped off!

Cheers for the help & suggestions