HID/Xenon kits

This might be a stupid question but what is the difference between the cheap xenon bulbs (£4.99-7.49) on ebay and the conversion kits which costs £59+

Has any one bought the bulbs from eBay or are they just waste of money.

Danke

Let me try to explain this a little better.

A xenon bulb is like a normal light bulb with a filament in the middle which 12V is passed across and causes it to glow, the space inside the bulb is filled with xenon gas.

An HID bulb doesn't have a filament instead the gas it's self has a voltage passed through it, usually very high voltage somewhere in the 20,000V region (which is why you need a ballast) and the gas glows, similar to how a neon sign works or a strip light.

The difference in light output is completely different, but as HID kits are now illegal unless you have HID kit approved headlamps, which self level and have headlamp washers , I wouldn't really advise using them on the road.

Isn't the xenon gas used in the cheap bulbs just so they can say they're 'xenon' and trick people?

£5 "Xenon bulbs" will be no different to a decent normal bulb.

Proper HID Xenon's will give the intense white light that you see on Mercs and Audis (and Lupo GTI's).

Other than being illegal, if you fit HID Xenon's to a Lupo you'll scatter the beam all over and blind everybody. They should only be used in projector headlights (which will still be illegal, but won't be any different to standard-fit xenon lights).

The law has changed, they will not only fail an MOT but the police can pull you over and give you a vehicle rectification notice for them too.

Pretty much illegal!

If you want the same look without the HID kit and slightly less illegal get some Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs instead, they give a nice crisp white light rather than yellow.

Walking down the street carrying class A drugs is illegal

Walking down the street carrying a HID kit isnt illegal

Like I said legality is 2 different things, and if anyone tells you they are illegal they are wrong !

Absurd example.

Are you allowed to have them fitted to a car without the appropriate levelling and washing parts? No. That is all there is to know.

Walking down the street carrying class A drugs is illegal

Walking down the street carrying a HID kit isnt illegal

Like I said legality is 2 different things, and if anyone tells you they are illegal they are wrong !

Whatever sunshine, come back and tell me that after you've been done for them ;)

Absurd example.

Are you allowed to have them fitted to a car without the appropriate levelling and washing parts? No. That is all there is to know.

And I repeat just to correct people, it does NOT make them illegal they may not comply with current C&U regs for vehicles using them as kits on the road, but they can 100% be used with no questions asked for off road use or for example in auxiliary lighting such as lamp pods on rally cars.

So I restate the fact that kits are not illegal as was suggested.

Sunshine

And at what point didnt he ?

We can both make assumptions, and both be wrong, however explaining something as illegal when in law it isn't "illegal" is incorrect information being posted.

So correcting the point a moderator made by using an analogy was my intended reason for posting, not to tell the OP whether he or she can, or can not fit them !

As the original question was answered correctly no further input was required on the bulbs, however on reading the incorrect use of the word illegal I thought it necessary to correct.

If I am wrong in that, then I will gladly hold my hands up and listen to reason and apologise, and learn from it and expand my own knowledge learned from others, what is funny though, is when others wont do the same :shades:

The law has only just changed this month, you'll be seeing a lot less of them. I know for a fact Grampian Police have had a crackdown over the course of this month on HIDs and I'm sure other forces will be doing the same.

If you take your car to a reputable MOT centre for it's MOT then any trace of an HID kit should fail too, it's not enough to simply remove the lamps and change back to traditional bulbs.

So if I have a HID kit in my boot then my car will fail it's MOT... hmm I think not.

I think thats a little bit much, he obviously meant if you leave the ballasts and wiring all in the engine bay in place.