colour coding mirror caps..

HalfOfZero

My little Arosa has black plastic mirror. Just got anew passengers side one off the one n only Lupoboz, so now, one's shiny and new, one's old and grey lol. Thinking I'll paint it Flash Red to go with the car.

Now I have some differing opinions on how to do this.... One person has said I need a 'certain type of primer' because it's grp plastic? And someone else has told me to just paint straight on?? I thought it'd be best to use a primer coat at least.. but different types? Help please thanks :D

Love ya. x

Our kid's a special fx artist & recommends halfrauds grey primer for pretty much anything, I've used it on my centre caps so far & it's pretty good, nice even finish. I'm painting a few bits flash red including mirrors & i'm doing a couple of layers of grey primer, then white primer until the finish is even then colour & lacquer layers. Sanding first hobviously.

Plastic primer would be a good bet. Bit more flexible to allow for expansion on hot day. Normal primer can crack. The Halfrauds one is red I think.

Grey is fine on plastic models and such that don't sit in the sun.

Ah so that's the difference between plastic primer & others, cheers for that

I'd heard of people sanding between coats, seems counter-intuitive taking off the paint you've just put on lol suppose it makes for a smooth finish though - what sort of grit do you use?

You only sand to key it up between coats to ensure the next one sticks properly.

I used 800 grit wet and dry IIRC.

Oh and wait for the paint to properly harden, so overnight, before appling the clear coat. Put it on too early and it goes mental

Yeah that makes sense, thought it'd be a wet n dry job, that's really helpful cheers dude

@Jamie, think thats the highest grit I could find in the garage when I did the mirrors. They turned out pretty good after good polish.

@Half, yep nice and lightly just to take the shine off the paint. The surface needs to be a bit rough other wise the paint/clear wont stick properly.