discs/pads "need `de-glazing`"

last time Seat had the car they said my brakes needed `de-glazing` - this was after they had just fitted new discs and pads under warranty.

problem is i experience very loud squeaking when driving at about 30mph. Seat said it would cost £90 and they would be happy to do it...

no thanks. can anyone tell me how to "`de-glaze`" the discs or pads, or at least how to take the pads off, is it just a case of cleanin them with alcohol?

thanks guys

• 2 months later...
last time Seat had the car they said my brakes needed `de-glazing` - this was after they had just fitted new discs and pads under warranty.

problem is i experience very loud squeaking when driving at about 30mph. Seat said it would cost £90 and they would be happy to do it...

no thanks. can anyone tell me how to "`de-glaze`" the discs or pads, or at least how to take the pads off, is it just a case of cleanin them with alcohol?

thanks guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try www.brakes4u.co.uk

Their website has a page called brake doctor, very useful advice for de-glazing brake pads.

You cant 'de-glaze' discs can you!?!?!?! 

As far as I know de-glazing involces slamming on the brakes a few times to get rid of the surface of the pad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no this would make it worse generally, it tends to be when the disk has been used hard and the pad has formed a smooth surface. They should really take the pad off and roughen up the surface again but a quick fix is often to use the high pressure water jet from a pressure washer and get it in as close to the pad as possible so it runs underneath and it shoudl get rid of some of the brake dust build up and glaze and get rid of the problem at least for a while.

As far as I knew 'roughing' up pads is a bad idea as they are not made of a solid material, its like a cake and roughing it up will result in a really bad finish.... by slamming on the brakes you wear down the initial surface which has glazed but dont distort the pad surface level.

i'm sure i could read up on it but as far as i'm aware if your pars are glazed then you use them harder you will only increase the glazing that is already there. I think they usually rough up the surface with wire wool, easy to do yourself but a bit of a pain to get to.

If you don't have a GTI or Sport you will have 'drum' brakes on the rear which may need de-glazing . . .

On my 1st and 2nd Lupo's (both 75bhp 1.4's) I had my rear brakes de-glazed as they were making a nasty noise when being used.

I got a garage to de-glaze my rear drums for @£30 and they were fine after that . . . I'm not too technically minded but I believe they dismantle the rear brakes and saturate the drum and other parts in brake dust remover until they are all clean, then lube them up, stick them back on and adjust them ????????

Mate if they have fitted new discs and pads to your car, and they need glazeing take them back to the same dealership and tell them the parts are under warrenty, as they have been like this since they fitted the brakes.

£90 is stuppid mate.

I thought so but wanted to check.

Every guy I spoke to felt the same, they can not charge you for that.

i should of done that when I got the car back, but now its been about 3 months, u think I should still try?

don't know why I didnt think of that at the time blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

cheers