1.8t lupo conversion

joeturnerrfx

hi lads and ladys

me and my dad are going to undertake the project off putting a 1.8t in a lupo , i would be grate full if people could help out by putting up bits off info they know and websites / companies that sell bits that i would need

the car we have is a 1.4 16v , and we are going to put a 1.8 225 bhp engine in ( althought we dont have an engine sourced yet )

what drive shafts and mounts will be needed ? looms etc ? any suggestions on suspension and brakes ?

any recomendations from expericance ?

cheers joe+ anthony

Have you upgraded brakes / suspension yet? Any reason why you want a BAM engine as well? That is a lot of power in a little car? You would probably need to look as LSD's to get that power down on the floor as well? That alone will set you back a lump.

For the loom you can try a company called ACR you send them the donor loom and the existing and they create you a hybrid basically.

You will probably need a Lupo GTi Pedal box as well as you will end up with a hydraulic gearbox.

There are quite a few threads on here worth looking through them all.

Cheers mate , the reason we want to go for the 225 limp from the go is that we want to have a reliable 225 bhp then we can work on that from their , we know how we can get the engine to 280 bhp with just simple mods , and with that power I think we would be happy ( for a while atleast ) , we will look into LSD at a later date once we get the car running and driving :) ,

As for other mods . At the moment the car is standard , so will need a disk set up on the rear too ? So was leaving that open to recommendation ( sensible ones and not silly expensive ones )

And cheers for the heads up on the loom :)

Joe + anthony

Wouldn't concentrate so much on the rear - obviously the easiest would be a Lupo GTi setup, I would be more inclined to upgrade your suspension and front brakes before dropping the lump in - I presume you do want to stop the car?

G60 / Lupo GTi / Polo GTi front brakes is a starting point.

Maybe some Coilovers or something and an ARB if your car doesn't have one would be a starting point.

I wouldn't run 225bhp+ on rear drums personally, if you just upgrade the fronts I'd expect them try & lock up on you. G60/GTI brakes all round FTW, standard.

I wouldn't run 225bhp+ on rear drums personally, if you just upgrade the fronts I'd expect them try & lock up on you. G60/GTI brakes all round FTW, standard.

Yeah I appreciate what your saying - However if I was in his situation I would be more worried about the 1.4 brakes trying to stop 225 Horses. And the 1.4 Suspension.

Rear Brakes do very little on the car - Although I would still upgrade them if I was doing this conversion.

Yeah the fronts are the priority fo sho, you need the rears to balance it though imo, having front wheel skidded on a motorbike (imagine the road rushing up & smacking you in the face at 40mph) I never underestimate the importance of half decent rear brakes!

cheers for the input folks

- the conversion is going to be done in one go- so brakes and suspension will be done at same time as the engine - its easyer to do whilst the car is in bits , so all the input and advice is appreciated , i want to make a shopping list and get all my bits together before i touch the car . so then we can just go at it , although i will probs end up just getting something every month and doing it :)

cheers

joe + anthony

4 Pots or go home lol

As a bare minimum id say g60 discs and carriers, as a standard that id consider decent id go for 4 pots with 280mm+ discs, but remember wheels will always need to be bigger when you go with much bigger brakes.

haha by the sounds of it a few might want this doing ! i will have to see how my own project goes before saying we would take another one on . my dad has been a mechanic for the last 30 odd years and he certainly knows his way around cars - im a welder and fabricator so i will be doing the welding and knocking bits up needed, as well as getting my hands dirty and learning what i can ;)

joe + anthony