iPod/iPhone connectivity options

payna

Afternoon chaps and chapesses,

...ok so Its about time I was connected, and I'm not that upto speed with all the techy stuff.

Basically I want to know what my options are here. Ideally I want to have a setup where I can operate my iPhone/iPod from the head unit (MFD) while charging at the same time.

Simple enough.

That said however,I'm at a bit of a loss as to weather there's a product where it will do those things and also have a 3.5mm jack port. The reason being, I've got 'tune in radio' on my iPhone and would like to be able to connect this up aswell. Is it even necessary to have the jack port to do this?

Products I've seen so far are;

Dension,

Xcar link

And Connects2.

Bit of a noob type question I know, but like I say - I'm pretty hopeless with this type of stuff.

Thanks guys!

Andrew

Edited by payna

I have a Sony unit which, instead of having a cd player, there's a tray inside for an iPod or USB drive. Works a treat and fully controllable from the outside. I just bought a cheap iPod shuffle and leave it in there... Thinking bout it, I could actually get an iPod touch with ios5 and have it auto update wirelessly (I park close enough to my wifi).

Also a 3.5mm jack on the outside to connect whatever.

It's not a deal breaker to have to ditch the cd changer. But if I do go down that route, I would like it to be a 'proper' setup where I have at least cd quality, and also the ability to use the head unit to control it.

The dension gateway 100 looks to be pretty much ideal, as it has an aux port (3.5mm) aswell as the docking connection. Is its price justified against its counterparts? like the xcar link, and connects2??? Or do they not offer the same quality and amount of connectivity options?

So many questions! Lol

Thanks

Andrew

Ive been in a car with a Dennison before and it was basically CD quality but i personally have an eBay lead in my car that's pretty good. But im not really an audio expert.

Upgrading to some better speakers is about as far as i go.

Edited by madmanncfc

I've got the connects2 and use it with an iPod classic. I leave the iPod on shuffle and use the MFD to control it, just skipping forwards and backwards. You can make playlists but I've never bothered.

I have tried my iPhone in it and it works ok, although a "This device is not optimised for use with iPhone, interference may occur" warning pops up when I plug it in. I'll give it a bash on my way to work and report back, but i'm sure it charges it and the sound quality is fine too.

For £45, I don't think you can go far wrong. :)

What do you mean by tune in radio? So you can pick up DAB or internet radio? I've got the Planet Rock app on mine, I'll see if that works. I'm sure it does through a normal ipod dock so can't see why it wouldn't.

MrDerek, the autoupdate idea sounds great, but when you turn your ignition off the power will stop going to your iPod so the 'wirelessly sync with iTunes' wouldn't work would it? If that's what you meant.

Hallo Phil!

Good lad, Sounds pretty much ideal what you have got, if the planet rock app works then I might plump for one of those cos 'tunein' is the same thing but with more stations than you can wave a stick at!

What does the connection actually look like in the car? Do you just plug the docking cable directly into the unit which is hidden presumably?

Thanks mate

Sorry to hijack this, I'm interested in this set up too.

Any snaps of how it looks in your car phil?

When you turn the car of I'm presuming the iPod powers down? Or do you need to do it manually?

Cheers,

Tried it earlier on, it doesn't charge an iPhone. :(

I'm sure it's charged when I've tried it before though!

I totally forgot to try the planet rock app, but I'm sure it'll work. I'll make sure tomorrow.

Yeah, it's just a docking cable, there's nothing to show really, it's totally hidden away, just feed the cable through to where you want (it's pretty long).

The iPod powers on and off with the ignition.

The Planet Rock app works.

That adaptor looks pretty good, if that's all it takes to charge an iPhone then it's pretty simple.

I never use my phone though, and have an in car charger anyway, so I've got no need for one.

That error message that I mentioned before doesn't say there may be interference, just that charging is not supported.

:)

The Planet Rock app works.

That adaptor looks pretty good, if that's all it takes to charge an iPhone then it's pretty simple.

I never use my phone though, and have an in car charger anyway, so I've got no need for one.

That error message that I mentioned before doesn't say there may be interference, just that charging is not supported.

:)

How quick is it to fit this thing then?

I'm thinking about getting an ipod nano or similar and shotting it in my drinks tray which I'm using for coins then obviously having this connect up to it.

Simple as removing the CD unit and fitting this?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_808753_langId_-1_categoryId_165474

That's what I have in, cd quality and I can browse through tracks from the front. to use an app, you would probably have to pull it out and plug it in though the 3.5mm jack.

charges as I go along and when I switch the ignition off it just goes to battery mode until the standby kicks in.

Ahh nice one mate... It's a nice looking head unit that, good price too!

I'm gonna get me one of those phil, might even get the adaptor thingy aswell - Perfecto!

Thanks mate!

Edited by payna

No problem mate! I'm pleased with mine, which is why I got the same setup for Sophie's Polo, and the Caddy should be getting the same treatment when I get round to buying another Gamma tapedeck.

How quick is it to fit this thing then?

I'm thinking about getting an ipod nano or similar and shotting it in my drinks tray which I'm using for coins then obviously having this connect up to it.

Simple as removing the CD unit and fitting this?

Technically it's that simple, although it can be tricky to get the headunit back in once the new cables and the little box of tricks is behind it, especially with an MFD, which was a total bitch to fit in the first place! I cut some of the plastic away from the back of the 'cage' bit to give me a bit more room.

But yeah, remove headunit; plug in the Connects2 lead; refit headunit. Easy.

Champion...

Did you ditch the phatbox like? - I think if I get my play lists sorted it's gonna be a winner. My AC/DC collection is already on so that's the essentials done! I wasn't sure weather I would be able to live without the changer but il give it a shot. How do you find it?

I have a Dension 100 and CD retention kit, which allows you to keep the CD changer. It's pretty good. I wired the 3.5mm input into a remote socket in the center console from a Golf Mk5 GTI, never used it though.

The new ones support iPhone charging I think, but I have a iPhone charge adaptor which plugs inbetween the phone and the lead which makes it charge. Look on eBay for them.

Yeah, I got rid of the Phatbox in favour of an iPod.

Haha, I had every single AC/DC song on mine but started getting a bit fed up, so I've just got a few favourites on now.

I'm really pleased with it, I can fit all the music I want on it (160GB iPod, compared to the 20GB Phatbox), leave it on random and just skip it if a song I don't fancy comes on. Sound quality is great and it keeps my iPod charged, so I never have to touch it unless I'm updating it. Everything's hidden away so it looks all OEM. I never wanted to go to an aftermarket headunit.

I've never had a CD player in the Lupo so I haven't missed it!

Cool, sounds like a perfect install. I would have liked to have done that if I was gonna be dealing with 3.5 jack sockets...

Are there any draw backs to speak of with the dension? It looks to be expensive! any experience comparing the sound quality of the dension and connects2?

Yeah thats what I had thought Phil! Wasn't sure though! sounds like a good plan:- make several playlists, one of which being my full library and away I go!

lol.... Im getting wrong off the missus cos we are sat in the pub, this directors is going down pretty well

Edited by payna

I have a Sony headu-unit with bluetooth connectivity. I think it's brilliant because it streams wirelessly from iPod Touches and iPhones. I get in the car, the phone connects automatically and I just need to click play. It's an excellent system and so worth doing!