'My' Spoiler help (Max may know this??)

Tigz™

Alright dudes.

This is the Spoiler I bought last year.

spoiler.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Ive just ordered the paint as my mates gonna paint the spoiler and new front bumper for me.

the problem I have is that I cant deside if I should fill the space where the brake light is to have a smooth spoiler, or *find a brake light for it?

*This takes me to my main question.

As the brake light is a diffrent size/shape than the standard one, my lamp that came with it doesn't fit.

Can anyone tell me where I need to go shopping to get one?

Thats aimed at Max, really, is it a VW spoiler or an aftermarket one?

Thanks loopy dudes.

Andi- that looks identical to the one I have. Are you sure your brakelight (the one in the boot lid now) dosent fit? My spoiler came with an extension lead, to attach the origional brake light through the spoiler to its origional connector.

I am planning on holding it on with a few self tappers aswell, as I dont trust just glueing it on. There are a couple of holes on the underside, and i asked on another thread if there was a specific bolt size. Apparantly not, and tappers were recommended!

I am planning on holding it on with a few self tappers aswell, as I dont trust just glueing it on. There are a couple of holes on the underside, and i asked on another thread if there was a specific bolt size. Apparantly not, and tappers were recommended!

smooth it IMO

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Result! and opinion! lol

Thats what im thinking mate, my mate who is painting it for me, says it'll be a bitch to sand the filler into shape, but my main worry is the boot vibrations.

How tough is body filler?

would it crack being where it is?

I was thinking fill the gap with expanable foam, then smooth it with body filler?

Thats the same spoiler i have the standard lupo/arosa light fits that using the extension cord that came with it

How tough is body filler?

would it crack being where it is?

I was thinking fill the gap with expanable foam, then smooth it with body filler?

Ok a mate of mine is doing the body of his MkII GTi (will post pics when it's finished, he uses two products, don't know the translation in english but, theres one thing thats used to mold on the car (body filler?) that's mixed with some other one which is red that is the toughener, the more of the red thing you apply the harder it gets so you should have no problems as long as you mix enough of the strong thing with the moldable one (this lack of vocabulary is making me crazy :x )

hope i explained myself so you can understand :oops:

not necessarily! the less flexible the filler the more likely it is to crack when it moves from the car - i think the secret here is to stop the flexing first - can you double fix the spoiler so chance of movement is less? have u got rubber sealant around it?

Got chatting to a dude on a stall at GTi interntional last year.

He'd just sold one for £10 so I got his number and talked him into selling me the second used one he had for the same price.

Think there over £100 new.

Ouch, tht wd hurt the student account a bit sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> . Still better than payin that kinda money for a crap one! Would that be from VW or some tuning company?

Im not sure.

I always thought it was a VW one, as Max has his fitted and painted by VW.

It has a German name and part number on the spoiler.

I'll post it when I get home.

I agree though, IMO it looks much better than the 2 pice ones.

not necessarily, as tdw pointed out, i was just asking your question as to how tough it is, you can make it as tough as you want but it ould be less flexible, anyway just mix those two things together and get it filled, loads of cars use those things so you shouldn't have any problems :?

ok doing ur spoiler, first thing i would do it pack it with fibre glass, its more flexible and stronger than filler, get it as smooth as possible with that then skim over the top with filler.

as with the hardner in the filler, in hotter days u put less in as it dry quickly with more in, and colder days put more in.

Best advise i can offer is make sure the surface is roughed up before u do anything, this way it is less likely to crack.

next advise would be to make sure u mix the filler and hardner correctly