'my' lupo has died

Max

Had a phone call from the new owner the other day saying my lupo wouldnt start. Found this very odd as it has never missed a beat with me. After a few attempts to get it on a low loader (people wouldnt take it cos it was too low) they got it on the diagnostics (or something). The garage reckon the ecu may have broken. :shock:

Now, im not sure how to take this, I feel terrible as they only had 3 days use, but relieved that it didnt happen a week earlier.

It was a very quick sale. The MOT was up this week which I offered to get done for her. She just wanted to take the car asap so said she would do it herself.

Im not sure what to do, do I offer a `good-will` gesture and help pay for the work? or do I just ignore them? After all, I did let them have it for a good price.

If it is the ECU, I am right in saying that they just go, they dont break over time? Would stealth have done anything to it?

The most commen reason for a ECU failer is a jump start.

Do you meen she only used it for 3 days?

Flat battory ofver the time being?

Fried the ECU by useing Halfords jump leads?

Dont be fooled mate.

In my experiance, an ECU very rarley 'dies'

Thats the thing, I feel crap cos nothing ever went wrong on it. But, its trusting someone else who doesnt know the car to do the right thing when/if it goes wrong.

How could you tamper with it?

Its a sealed ECU.

The obvious fault caused as said is a jump start with insoficant leads.

tell them to feck off.

Tell her to get it in writing that the ECU has been tampered with.

If she cant do that tell her to feck off.

Tampered with my ass.

It either works or it doesn't.

muppets.

it is true they bought it as they seen it and if they took it for a test drive and they agreede to purchase its there fault im not sure if there is any law in which they can say i want me money back but to me a deals a deal and they bought a perfectly good working car .

Yeah max, I understand you feel bad about the car breaking down, I would do myself.

But it sounds more like they've buggered about with the ECU themselves, especially as they're desperate enough to accuse you of doing it.

I say that if they're playing it that way, tell them to piss off.

Fair enough if there'd been an oil leak or something long term & you saw it coming, then I'd be inclined to help out... but not this.

What everyone is saying is correct Max, you sold it in working condition on a "sold as seen" basis - you're not a f***ing dealership are you mate!!!

If they start hassling, get technical & start quoting latin at them: "Caveat Emptor". (The principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying)

Just a little tip for the future when selling second hand cars it is important to always write a reciept out with the following words included

"sold as seen, tested and inspected to the purchasers satisfaction"

Doing this leaves the purchaser under no illusion as to any comeback on you the seller. believe me, I've sold a few nails in my time it works.

WRT this current issue though, just be hard nosed about it tuff it out and tell them to get lost and just be thankful that the ECU didnt expire on you.

Just a little tip for the future when selling second hand cars it is important to always write a reciept out with the following words included

Doing this leaves the purchaser under no illusion as to any comeback on you the seller. believe me, I've sold a few nails in my time it works.

I agree a receipt is a good idea, but you dont need one - the law is clear, if its a private sale then there is no come back of any kind unless it was `mis-described`.

WRT this current issue though, just be hard nosed about it tuff it out and tell them to get lost and just be thankful that the ECU didnt expire on you.

"Whey wurrawanna charafan winofookin wheyls?!"

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I did give them a reciept with 'sold as seen' written on it. I am nice so offered £100, she took advantage and asked for £250, because of this she will be getting nothing.

Have researched the law side of things and they have nothing. Its an unfortunate incident which I feel bad about, but the fact she has tried to take advantage of my generosity (sp) has pissed me off.

You offered her some money to help... and she asked for MORE?! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm impressed with your attitude to help, and even more impressed you're giving them `hee-haw` now!

Brilliant.