Might be a daft question but here it goes anyway...

Paul

I don't know about these things so it seems best to ask people who do smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'm still drooling over http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/dxr52_b.asp and http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/idc_a09.asp 8)

Thing is, I'm a little bit unsure about the fitting, and saw http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/vw.asp :?

Please could you tell me the accessories I need to put these two units into my Lupo?

Your help is very much appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Wiring adaptors:

Harness adaptor for

VW all models 08/74 on, without active antenna system

Our Price: £9.99

pc2_18_4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Thats all you will need mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Tigz my friend, you are a star smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for your `super-quick` reply mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Sounds good mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'm all over the place, so any central area / south west meet (when I'm not working) would be fine.

Just one last thing :oops: . On this thread: http://forum.clublupo.co.uk/viewtopic.php?...2c210f1fac345d3 when I mentioned the sat nav unit, you said that your mate fitted one in a Polo. Could you tell me what a 'GPS antenna' is please, and where it's fitted? Just that on the website, it lists the `DX-R5` as coming "Complete with current UK map disc, GPS antenna and full fitting & operating guide".

Cheers!

Now I am not the best person to answer this, as I know nothing about Sat navs.

I think Mr boss JC may know this, as he has just/will be fitting a VW Sat nav system I belive.

I think you need an external arial, but as I said, I know very little about them.

Im sure theres plenty of peeps that do know???

You'll be able to pick up a GPS antenna from Ebay for around `25-30` quid - once you've taken the DIN units out, you can take out the upper centre console fairly easily - there are only 2 torx screws.

Once that's done, find a good place as far up the dash as you can get, and you'll get decent enough reception without drilling any holes smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Also you'll want to know that you'll also need to buy a sat nav disc at anywhere between £100 and £150 if you actually want to be able to use it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

`Thank-you` bossjohnc smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What do you mean about the navigation disc though? Would you not recommend the one that comes in the box???

Arrived biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Next day delivery - I'm well impressed :wink:

However, something isn't right. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

The two units work perfectly, and all is well, but when I remove the ignition key after running the engine, the interior light doesn't illuminate. What's more, upon locking the doors (from the outside) the deadlocks don't clunk into place, and the red light by the driver's door lock doesn't flash.

So I unplugged the head units, (but left the wiring adaptor on the ISO plugs) and tried again. Same thing sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Unplugged the wiring adaptor, and tried again (i.e, nothing was connected). Everything worked as it did with the original Beta unit. Interior light came on and the red light flashed when the car was locked.

So any ideas what's going on? The wiring adaptor I bought is the one that Tigz kindly recommended earlier in this thread.

Also, why do I need the adaptor? I've not tried without the adaptor for fear of blowing fuses, but I was just wondering.

LincolnLupo - Thanks for the tip, but I've got it in my living room at the moment!

Tigz - I'll see what I can do about piccies when it's all working properly :wink:

Thanks for your time smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You need to swap over the red and yellow wires round mate.

See Here

Not a big job mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

For some reason on cars with CL the wires have to be swapped over.

As Im a tight wad with no elecrics I didnt have the problem biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Silly me! :oops: :roll: :oops:

Thanks Tigz smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'll have a go tomorrow morning (getting fed up of working in the dark with only the interior light and a torch to help) and let you know when it's fitted.

Thanks again :wink:

lol thats what Im always doing.

After the car caught fire I had no system (even speakers as they had been amp'd up at the time) for months.

When I had enough cash for the new amp, and it arrived I spent about 4 hours outside with an uplighter lamp on leant against the car trying to see! lol

Its funny how inpationt we can be aint it? :wink:

Good luck tommorrow bud.

LOL! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> That's quite a tale! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it guys smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Swapped over the red and yellow wires on the adaptor and everything works as it should. 8) Looks excellent with the VW red/blue dash!

Only thing is...

To install the `sat-nav` facility, the system needs to run a few preliminary checks in a sequence. All was going well until it needed to check that reverse gear was engaged. A sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> face appeared in the display to show that it had failed.

Turns out that the reversing lights aren't coming on. So I checked the bulbs (after spending a while working out just how to get to the flippin' bulbs and remove the rear light clusters). Anyway, both reversing bulbs looked ok and checked out well on the multimeter.

Time to put everything back together then. After putting it all in place, I did a final check of the rear lights. Still no reversing lights, but now there's no tail light on the offside :cry:

Took it off again and tested that bulb on the multimeter, and it showed up as being a good un. Put it all back together, and while the brake illuminates on the offside, the tail light still won't evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" />

Putting that to one side, my attention now turns to the reversing light switch on the gearbox. Think I located it, but by now it was 10:30pm, I was cold, tired and hungry, so called it a night and I'll try again tomorrow. :roll:

As a quick summary then,

-No reversing lights but both bulbs are fine

-Suspect reversing light switch

-No offside tail light but working brake light

-Cold, tired and hungry :oops:

Any more advice you could offer would be very much appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks.