Might be a daft question but here it goes anyway...

Paul

Went out today for a 160 mile round trip, and everything (music wise) worked perfectly biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Discovered that the filament in the stop/tail bulb for the tail light failed in the time when I was putting everything back together last night :roll: So a new bulb got that working again. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

But I still have the reversing light switch problem... :?

Thanks for looking Tigz smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I've had a look on the 'box but there's so many wires, I've no idea where the reversing light switch is :oops: :? :roll:

Tigz - looks like you've done it again smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just ran out to have a look and found that the relevant fuse - number 25 - is missing sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Having bought the car about a month ago with a new MoT, I fully believed everything would be working. I feel really rather stupid for having not noticed that my reversing lights aren't on :oops:

Tomorrow, when I've got some daylight to work with, I'll drop in a fuse and see if I can get the sat nav working...

Right, think I've fixed it (sort of) smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Turns out that fuse number 25 is 'gear selector lighting' which I suspected was the reversing light switch, but transpired to be the one for automatic transmission (when it illuminates the auto lever).

Found out that the reversing light was another one completely. Tracked it down, and there was only a 5 amp fuse in there. So I swapped it for the number plate lights (also a 5 amp) and the reversing lights came on, so I'm happy about that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> But really the circuit (with two 21 w bulbs) needs a 10 amp fuse, and I blew the 5 amp one :oops: Meaning that I now have neither reversing lights or number plate lights :roll:

The other thing is that the spade fuses are considerably smaller than standard ones, so I'm thinking that only a VW agent would have them in stock :?:

Anyway, when the reversing lights were functioning, I tried to install the sat nav. Somehow, it still failed to detect that reverse gear had been engaged, so having skipped that test, the next one is to drive a short distance at no more than 19mph (30 km/h). So I drove around the back corner of Asda's `car-park` at 10mph, yet it failed to detect that, too sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Does my Lupo (December 2001 '51'-reg S SDi) have the wheel sensor? I thought it did because of the speed dependant doodah on the radio and the Gala setting (Hope I'm still making sense to someone).

I then `gave-up` due to lack of day light again :cry:

Thanks again :wink:

Ok only thing I can say about it the fuses.

Yes VW will have them, as will any motor factors.

there a sod to get hold of, Halfrauds should sell them but I dont remember for sure, its been a while since Ive had to buy anything like that for a while.

Your reverse switch and steering wheel sensors I cant help with.

Again, could do with Elsa really.

Let me give a dude a shout incase hes missed this.

Let me give a dude a shout incase hes missed this.

That's really kind, thanks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As for the fuses, because they're so small, I thought they'd be a VW only thing :?:

But really the circuit (with two 21 w bulbs) needs a 10 amp fuse, and I blew the 5 amp one :oops: Meaning that I now have neither reversing lights or number plate lights :roll:

Not too sure about this. Unless my GCSE electronics has deserted me, ohms law states that two 21W bulbs will draw 3.04 amps at 13.8V. Assuming that's the only load on the circuit, it sounds like you have bad wiring somewhere, to be blowing a 5 amp fuse.

Any chance you could have hooked the wrong wire into the SatNav unit? This would explain why the SatNav wasn't detecting that reverse was engaged, too...

The other thing is that the spade fuses are considerably smaller than standard ones, so I'm thinking that only a VW agent would have them in stock :?:

Just pop along to your local VW dealer's parts department and they'll sell you one - think it was 25p when I blew one of mine. They've got bags of the things.

Anyway, when the reversing lights were functioning, I tried to install the sat nav. Somehow, it still failed to detect that reverse gear had been engaged, so having skipped that test, the next one is to drive a short distance at no more than 19mph (30 km/h). So I drove around the back corner of Asda's `car-park` at 10mph, yet it failed to detect that, too sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Does my Lupo (December 2001 '51'-reg S SDi) have the wheel sensor? I thought it did because of the speed dependant doodah on the radio and the Gala setting (Hope I'm still making sense to someone).

All Lupos have a speed wire somewhere - the Lupo dash (rev/speedo) is completely electronic, so it's definitely feeding into the back of there.

Can you confirm that you had GALA working when you had your VW radio installed? If so, then you have a speed wire on your ISO connector. If I remember correctly it's pin one on the black ISO connector, green with a white stripe.

Not too sure about this. Unless my GCSE electronics has deserted me, ohms law states that two 21W bulbs will draw 3.04 amps at 13.8V. Assuming that's the only load on the circuit, it sounds like you have bad wiring somewhere, to be blowing a 5 amp fuse.

Popped along to my local friendly VW dealer and bought the teeny weeny spade fuses. Cost 44p + VAT each :wink:

All Lupos have a speed wire somewhere - the Lupo dash (rev/speedo) is completely electronic, so it's definitely feeding into the back of there.

Can you confirm that you had GALA working when you had your VW radio installed? If so, then you have a speed wire on your ISO connector. If I remember correctly it's pin one on the black ISO connector, green with a white stripe.

Aha! Cheers! The GALA was most certainly working on the Beta unit, so it sounds like I need to check my ISO connectors again...

Thanks Snoopstah, really apreciate your input smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You're right! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I consulted the manual and it says plug A1 is the GALA function, so I'll be checking that as soon as I can...

Thanks all for your help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I feel like I'm getting to the bottom of this saga now 8)