Discussion On Lights

Dan *Arosa* Fisher

To be honest, I used some halfrauds super bright bulbs in my old car and they were really bright. I'd go for something like that to be safe.

High intensity discharge (hid's) used in standard non projector headlights are illegal

Hid's /xenons req.

1. Projector headlights

2. Self levelling

3. Headlight washers

All to be legal!

Are you talking about xenon look bulbs that are still halogen bulbs just a direct replacement etc??

I find a lot of these have like a blue coating on them, through the day when not in use they look nice in the standard halogen headlight (blue reflection) but when used at night they still look white / yellow as all halogen bulbs do :)

You get what you pay for with bulbs imo. HIDS in a lupo headlights look rats.

If you want a nice bright legal headlight, look at halfords own super briliance. 90% brighter and i agree, they are awesome! Not to cheap though, £20 a bulb but sometimes they are buy one get one free.

That's what I used, not cheap but worth it. Think they were £17.?? when I bought mine, worth every penny though.

They were as bright as the Xenon's on the TT at the time.

xenon lights will be illegal in january if not fitted with headlight washers as nock said. HID kits or tinted bulbs are legal and dont require headlight washers

A HID kit would not be legal.

Surely HID kits and real Xenons are the same thing? Which are soon to be illegal.

'xenon bulbs' are not xenons, it's a marketing gimmick, as far as I know.

If you're just swapping the bulbs you have nothing to worry about. Xenons or HID's have ballasts and extra wiring that need fitting.

Surely HID kits and real Xenons are the same thing? Which are soon to be illegal.

'xenon bulbs' are not xenons, it's a marketing gimmick, as far as I know.

If you're just swapping the bulbs you have nothing to worry about. Xenons or HID's have ballasts and extra wiring that need fitting.

Manufacturer fit xenon's are legal, aftermarket hid's can be made to be completely legal (but require more work than they are worth)

for a xenon / hid to be completely legal they must have

1. projector headlight

2. headlight washers

3. auto levelling sensors to adj. beam height... usually on the rear beam!

most people stick ebay hid's in there non projector headlights and think its bob on and really cool, whereas actual light output will be a scattered mess, reducing night time vision and blinding drivers coming towards them... namely me...

p.s i hate hid's in halogen headlights

Edited by Big Jase

You say that, but apparently the new MOT regs will make it illegal for any retro fitted HID lights. Of course it'll be pretty hard to tell if you use factory upgraded stuff.

But yeah, HID's in reflector headlights are gash!