Urgant! !!!Yet another annoying Problem WHEEL BOLTS!!!

Red Lupo

Just got new tyres on my newly refurbed wheels, and had to buy 5 stud adaptors due to the new ones being Porsche 5 studs! and the adaptors I have bought and fitted are 15mm, :whistling: all are on fine but using standard Wheel Bolts 26mm I think? :dntknw: when driving making a Clanking noise :down: either need Longer bolts or shorter ones, any suggestions on which size bolts i need so that I can go out tommorow and get these all safe and sound before the pain in the arse Long Bank Holiday Weekend, I'm hoping somewhere will be open tommorow, Cheers, Olie.

Last time I had a clanking my wheel fell off. Get some long bolts asap.

Places that sell bolts are f*cking few and far between down here in Plymouth, when my wheel came off I went everywhere looking for bolts, even Euro Car Parts, because on their van it says "We Sell Any Part For Any Car" ..(except those little tiny meaningless wheel bolts?!)

Ended up getting bolts from my local tracking place, ProTyre. They were the only joint that had any, including garages etc.

Is this on the front or back ?

It could be the adaptor bolts being a touch to long and catching something inside the rear drum assembly.

What Captain Scotty said. I had the issue when fitting different wheels to my MK3 Polo. Needed shorter bolts on the rear as they fouled something inside the drum.

A good measure to make sure they are long enough:

Take wheel\adaptor off and put a bolt through a hole.

The thread protruding from the back of the wheel\adapter needs to be at least as long as the dia. of the bolt used.

PS and it's not a VW problem, but would effect all marks and wheels. Just need to do a bit of thinking.

I too have jad the problem in the past, hopefully a nice easy fix with a hacksaw and a file lol

Silver cheers for using my official royal title today , I had to turn down my wedding invite though as I'm sorting put car parts

May help...

If it is only the one wheel, i doubt they are done up properly, the little thing the car comes with isnt good enough, u need a breakers bar to do them up properly.

If your wheel bolts are screwing through the adaptor and hitting the drum, it means the bolt is not seating properly.

I would get shorter bolts, or trim yours accordingly, but carefully! NOT TOO MUCH.

If the bolts have a "domed surface" on the bottom you may be able to file it off.

I wouldn't recommend driving it until you get them sorted properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Also had the same problem when I trial fitted my 20mm spacers, the bolts were too long and was catching on the inside making it clank