how hard is it to change engine?

splinta ste

im new to the world of lupos having allways owned aircooled vws, and im having trouble with oil warning light. thinking of changing oil pump next and if that doesnt cure it maybe change engine. i have changed many aircooled engines in the past with no probs but they involve a couple of cables a few bolts and and a hose or two, very basic. wouldnt know where to start with watercooled as theres lots more to consider. is this a job for a novice ? or is it crazy garage prices?

changing the engine is pretty easy to be honest. had mine in and out a few times. as the aircooled really just a few bolts, pipes and sensors. engine is light enough that we just do it with a Jack lol.

as said above its much easier if you remove the front end, it only takes 10 mins and makes it a lot more accessible

will a vagcom tell me if oil pressure is correct,?and if its getting to top end? sorry to sound like a thicko but really am new to workin on modern vehicles :confused: could do with a haynes manual for lupo but dont think they ever produced one. the sensor seems a good place to start before oil pump but where is it located in engine? a few people have told me that the pickup pipe and strainer in the sump are prone to getting clogged up but had sump off and they seem fine. also changed oil and filter so far but no joy. thanks to all replies steep learning curve for me :wacko:

polo manual is essentially the same.

Vagcom will tell you if the sensor is dead, if it doesn't there's more chance of it being the pump

sorted! new sensor, engine flush n fresh oil seems to have done the job. drove 20 or so miles in it yesterday with no probs.

cheers guys