More shock travel with same ride height?

Seen a couple of posts about how to get the rear of the car lower without cutting springs by lowering the botton shock mount and spring plate.

What I'm wondering is, if a second lower hole was dilled for the shock to be mounted at the rear and the spring base left alone would this give more shock travel whilst keeping the same ride height?

My rudimentary amount of suspesion knowledge suggests it would work.

Edited by Deadmetal

yes but drilling the holes would make them in a weaker place as they arnt using the full thickness of the metal if you get what i mean so as far as safety goes a little extra work would keep you alive

I'm not looking to lower the car any more, just to get more shock travel. The reason I want to do it is because the diferrence in ride quality with and with out th adjusters in is huge.

So it would work then? I suppose if I weld extra plate on, then I can always grind it off it doesnt work.

Edited by Deadmetal

No worries, most suspension questions are about lows. lol

I dont think the bumpstops make much differnce, as I think that as the bottom of the shock piston (if thats the right word) is lower down the shock body wich means the shock is having to work harder.

This pics sorta shows what I mean

car-suspension-8.gif

I know it shows uncompressed and compressed but, I'm imagining the lower the car the more the shock looks like the compressed spring, making it work in a diff way. So by getting it nearer the normal postion would be benifictial to ride comfort.

yeah thats a very good point could always get stiffer shorter bump stops as obviously they are designed to squash a bit do your wheels rub though as i would of thought the rear would dip a bit more though :confused:

anyway lower it more then its sorted ha ha

The rear doesnt bottom out or rub atm. The rear could dip more but, I doubt it would make much difference with normal driving. It could be more likely to rub under hard driving conditions, though I do think the tyre will hit the arch liner first.

you can only try it dude it all depend on travel maybe take one off and mark where it is fully out then take the bumpstop off and see how much travel there is then at least youd get an idea if the bumpstop way is do able so you wouldnt have to modify the axle

drilling lower is fine the metal is still the same thickness. i removed the whole spring platform and mount and lowered it 1.5" before re welding and strengthening.shocks are under no where near the stress they were.

Rather than just drilling a couple of holes?

Wich bit of the damper would you attack anyway?

I would "attack" the threaded top of the damper with a local engineering company to increase the amount of thread, duno how that'll work on lupos tho, still not up to speed on them compared to some others cars