Cost of New Clutch Extortionate?

Blitzerman

Right had clutch fixed cost £360. and had some welding done of the clutch pedal itself cause that has snapped.

So yeah is that wayyy to much? or about right?. This wasnt done at a dealers either.

Personally i think, all it was was the clutch pedal that had snapped! and they replaced the whole clutch then realised that had snapped also :/ But ill never know. anyway suppose im guna start weeping when u tell me u got urs done for 150?

so whats urs cost?

R u a mechanic? No! U have to pay the price they ask as **** as it is...... ! It's a ball ache but there's always the inevitable Paying it , that gets u mobile again! It's **** but buyers Market n all sorry buddy it is wat it is. If it's broke u just have to fix it ;-)

I don't think he's debating the need to have it done... Simply asking if his garage of choice has ripped him off...

It's a bit late now, he won't get money back for work that's already been done to a price he agreed to and paid out for!

What model Lupo?

I think you may have had a failed pedal box @ £40 for complete new unit + fitting

Crunched into gears especially reverse?

You would say this is just the pedal box probem then and nothing to do with the clutch if its crunching into gear especially in reverse?

You would say this is just the pedal box probem then and nothing to do with the clutch if its crunching into gear especially in reverse?

I would say that a pedal box problem can feel very alike a broken clutch problem, but a broken pedal box can lead to a clutch dying too. It's done now so you won't ever know unfortunatly :(

I have read if a few people welding up theirs with complete success since it is only a failing weld that is the initial issue anyways

Update!!!!!! LOL i didnt agree to pay a price, just needed it done so whatever it cost was what i was guna pay, anyway..... clutch went again yesterday! so its back in the garage to be fixed properly this time!. and might have to have a new pedal box at the same time.... So guna needa get a courtesy car :/

Answers to all questions and things

yes actually im a mechanic in training.

The price i paid was 360 with a new clutch and pedal welded.

and the pedal was alright welded just lower than orignally was

and the clutch itself is screwed, (for the second time) only crunched into some gears after they had fixed it. and i know its clutch cause it wud shudder loads like when pulling away where its gripping then slipping. and guna have new pedal box i think, but they're saying its guna be removing the dash, so guna be more than £40 i wud imagine :;/ ah well has to be done, shud have a nice little runner after that

Just had a new clutch and a recon gearbox put in my lupo on friday. I supplied the parts. The clutch kit includiong bearings was £180 from tps and fitting of clutch and gearbox was £100 (good job i know the mechanic) :D

£150 plus vat is the norm for a gearbox removal, clutch fitted,gearbox refit,clutch plus vat can be over £100, i have a reciept for a pedal box replacement at vw for £370 ish.

£150 plus vat is the norm for a gearbox removal, clutch fitted,gearbox refit,clutch plus vat can be over £100, i have a reciept for a pedal box replacement at vw for £370 ish.

That's not a bad price for clutch, is that the norm? I got quoted between 240 and 420 for my pedal box to be done. Luckily got a random to do it for £90 plus parts

What model Lupo?

I think you may have had a failed pedal box @ £40 for complete new unit + fitting

Crunched into gears especially reverse?

Mine has just started doing that, and im NOT looking forward to shelling out £240 for a new clutch, cable and gearbox. If youve got it on good authority it could be my pedal box and will only cost £40 then you might just be my new best friend haha

UPDATE, Got courtesy car. Its **** Completely. Rover 218D, absolute tractor horrid. throttle is stiff as the brake pedal under full pressure. And it smells. Anyway, getting now After the clutch has broke, A New Pedal Box, A recon gear box. And having the clutch fixed again. Total price of car £1600. total price of things ive brought for it to keep it on the road thus far £660 :D YAY FML. Doenst even include insurance or the MOT next month of the tax FML or the price they are guna charge me to fit the pedal box and gear box.....

Edited by Blitzerman