Another insurance question

Huw Pugh

for those of you who have 2 cars, how do you insure them? Do you have separate policies or multicar policy? How does it work with your NCB?

We're looking to put the Lupo on a limited mileage policy but struggling to find anything competitive. Whilst it will have to be insured with a company that insures mods, a quick quote on confused.com produced a quote double what we're paying despite reducing the mileage from 10k to 3k :wacko:

The current insurer has also said that the NCB can't be used on 2 cars. I know this is a general rule with insurance companies, but there are some that do honour NCB on a second car i think.

The girl friend and I use Admiral Multicar, which lets us both drive each other's cars. Saves us £100's, possibly £1000's. (Imagine the insurance quote for me on her Audi TT 3.2 Quattro DSG as I'm 21 with 2 years NCB and it's insurance group 19!).

Definitely worth a look.

It used to be that if you had NCB earned on one policy, it could not be used to run on a second policy too. I have full NCB on my Altea, but if I bought a second car to play with, I'd expect to have to start from scratch on that.

Multicar policies may work, but I don't know how transferable the NCB would be from Admiral to Aviva for example if the two cars went on seperate policies.

Multicar policies may work, but I don't know how transferable the NCB would be from Admiral to Aviva for example if the two cars went on seperate policies.

The way it works is, the NCB that is earned on the Lupo is mine, and the NCB that is earned on the TT is hers. If we split the policy come renewal time then I will still have my NCB and she will still have hers. We checked that before we took it out.

Hmm... I hadn't considered putting the two dailies on a multicar policy and then insuring the lupo separately. But then that brings us back to the issue of splitting the multicar policy at a later date. :coffee:

It comes through as two seperate insurance policies, on seperate documents