Winter Tyres - real ones

After struggling and sliding in the snow last year on the current Toyos, I'm hoping to get some proper winter tyres for the Arosa - I need to be able to get to work!

I have a set of spare wheels which are 15" and I believe 6.5j width which they can go on - I've been recommended Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, but has anyone used these in snow before? Any other suggestions (also the best size to go for...garage looked dubious when I asked about winter tyres to fit them!)

I'd rather get a recommendation from someone who has actually used a particular tyre than go off internet reviews...

After struggling and sliding in the snow last year on the current Toyos, I'm hoping to get some proper winter tyres for the Arosa - I need to be able to get to work!

I have a set of spare wheels which are 15" and I believe 6.5j width which they can go on - I've been recommended Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, but has anyone used these in snow before? Any other suggestions (also the best size to go for...garage looked dubious when I asked about winter tyres to fit them!)

I'd rather get a recommendation from someone who has actually used a particular tyre than go off internet reviews...

I'm exactly the same here, I can't see Rainsports been any good as they have the same tread patern as Toyo's. OEM GTI SP2000's were fine in snow. :lol: Just can't afford them, and don't want them.

Go on Camskill and have a look around the winter tyre section, loads of them on there. Look for those marked M+S (mud and snow)as they have a more aggressive tread pattern which will also be 'self clearing'.

Then do a search for reviews on Google.

I generally would go for a smaller winter wheel with a higher profile tyre as this will protect any metal when 'one' slides into a kerb.

Skinnier the better to for snow as the narrow profile cuts in to find traction.

For the Dune I have dropped to a 15" wheel from a 17" and will be fitting 185\60 tyres as oppossed to 215\40.

I run 155/65 14 Vredestein Snowtrac 3's on my Lupo in the winter. They came top in an ADAC tyre test on a Polo. I had Snowtrac 2's before, and the 3's are noticeably better.

They are excellent in the rain, and in standing water, and simply amazing on snow and ice. Apart from the extra drag, you hardly notice the snow. The only limiting factor is ground clearance when tractors and 4x4's have left a ridge in the middle of the road.

In fact the Lupo on snow tyres is so good in the snow, I'd rather drive that than my A3 quattro, which is on Continental WinterContact TS830’s in the winter.

I think it’s down the lack of weight of the Lupo. There is just a lot less mass when you need to stop or change direction.

There is certainly no worry of sliding into curbs.

Of course winter tyres are not so good when the ambient temperature gets up around 10ºC and above. Either drive more carefully, or of course fit summer tyres. That’s easy if you have a second set of wheels.

TBH I wouldn’t recommend the same tyre as the Finns use, as their winters are quite different to ours here in the UK. Nokian studded tyres seem to be popular there.

Here’s the Lupo about to climb a 1:4 hill on snow last winter.

LupoSnow1.jpg

Since when did Marks and Spencers start selling tyres.

Didn't you hear, they started selling 'branded items' recently.

When was the last time you went on a 'special trip'? :coffee::shades:

Ooh! So next time I go to buy a beige shirt and trousers and a brown stripey tie and brown sensible shoes, not to forget the taupe jacket, I can by tyres too.

You wanna come help me in the changing room young man? You can hold my stick :rolleyes: