good or bad please help

Right last week i noticed oil up the boot off my car (valve stem seals) so tonight i took the head off and came across this, pistons covered black in suit like stuff is the normal or bad, could someone give there thoughts please, it would be most appreciated

sorry if the photos are clear

thanks

896081490a12686363323l.jpg

896081490a12686363342l.jpg

896081490a12686363371l.jpg

896081490a12686363394l.jpg

896081490a12686363425l.jpg

896081490a12686363452l.jpg

I'd say you could be right along the valve stem lines mate, doesn't look too bad but you'd need to clean up the tops of your pistons for a better idea, kinda hard to see under all the sludge.

I'd say you could be right along the valve stem lines mate, doesn't look too bad but you'd need to clean up the tops of your pistons for a better idea, kinda hard to see under all the sludge.

right ok, tomoro i'll clean them up and take photos whats the best way to clean them and what should i use to clean them,

thanks again

With piston flush with top face and tissue in down piston bore so debris can be minimised. wire brush or similar on a drill.being carefull not to damage the block face.

the build up just because youve had a more than normal amount of oil burning so its carboned up in the cylinders. brake cleaner works quite well, its what i use on diesel engines that generally look like that when stripped. so i wouldnt worry to muh will be sound as a pound when cleaned and rebuilt.

the build up just because youve had a more than normal amount of oil burning so its carboned up in the cylinders. brake cleaner works quite well, its what i use on diesel engines that generally look like that when stripped. so i wouldnt worry to muh will be sound as a pound when cleaned and rebuilt.

perfect just the news i wanted thanks for your help people will let you no how i get on

thanks

Dont use anything abrasive. Just brake cleaner and tissue to wipe off the excess oil. To be honest, it will burn off when you next run the car anyway.

One thing i would do though is change the valve guides too. It's common for the exhaust guides to wear, due to the expansion they go through, and you can see that it is the exhaust side that is the problem. Just changing the seals will be ok for a number of miles, but the problem will occurr again if you dont change the guides too. While the head is apart, you might as well do both.

Edited by andybg40