For all the GTI's running FK's Highsports PLEAE HELP!!

Sara

Looking at the pics of the bottom ball joints again, is it possible that to adjust the camber they have bent the ball joints up

Its defo a ball problem....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the pics of the bottom ball joints again, is it possible that to adjust the camber they have bent the ball joints up

Its defo a ball problem....

They really are morons if they did that. Garages do some strange things though.

The wishbones they modified (the original ones) have now been thrown away by the garage! these have just been put on, wheel alignment done then given to us. Since we played hell with them for modifying the part with out asking us they haven't been too nice with us.

im going to go stick my head under my car tomorrow and have a look see. But im bloody sure those ball joints shouldnt be bent up like that

Those are new ball joints. They have probably put the hole thing on, as you can get them like that, not right for a GTI though.

I think thats where your issue is tbh, still got the old ball joints?

Nope when we asked for everything back they threw away all the old parts, I didn't think the ball joints are new, but then again I never really noticed the old ones!

If you can foxy that would be a very big help!!!!

Edited by Sara

So it looks like they couldn't get the camber right, so insted of altering the strut, the altered the wishbone? Then fitted new wishbones with ball joints, that are too short, which allowed them to get the camber right(By luck), but stressed the CV joints.

Edit: you can tell the ball joint are new, cause the nut is new and they are not rusty, and the bolts that hold it onto the wishbone aree all new, none of that comes with just a wishbone. When I did my wishbones, I just got the std wishbones and had no issues.

Edited by 99hjhm

Something along those lines!

looking at the car it looks like it still has a slight -camber.

My fella went to see them the other day asking where the wishbones came from and when they said EK motor factor's he said how come you never fitted original VW ones - they said because they are expensive and EK had exactly the same thing for cheaper! :confused:

Edited by Sara

Yeah, TBH the cheap ones will be OK with the right ball joints. The VW ones look like around £70ea retail, you can get a pair of cheap ones on ebay with ball joints for £30.

yes i was correct the bottom ball joints are non gti, yoda stikes again.

I have gti ones on my lupo and they look the same as the other persons.

Tbh dont think they really do different ones for the gti as my box says lupo/ lupo gti and fits 1.0 - 1.6 + sdi + tdi

again going back to my original post, non oem manufacturers list the bottom ball joint as fitting all, truth being thats not correct gti ones are longer to give wider track at front.

So does that mean now I have to get genuine wishbones and ball joints..... bit confused as at the mo the car look like it has -camber, and your saying the wishbones are too short + the wrong ball joints. Surely if I got longer wishbones and the right ball joints (to make it a wider track) it would have more -camber?

How much are the genuine ball joint's?

It's not wishbones you need, they are fine. You need new ball joints, genuine VW ones for the GTI. That will end your problems

Will the VW Ball joints fit the EK (cheap wishbones) as we might just get the whole lot and bill the garage which did the shoddy work!

Foxy - did you see if your ball joint was at the same angle/the same set up?

Edited by Sara

Yes they will fit the ek wishbones, ask for the ones that are on back and flog em

Yes they will fit the ek wishbones, ask for the ones that are on back and flog em

Don't understand?

I will get some of the GTI ones ordered up then - I'm hoping it makes a difference!! what will be so different about them??

Just ran that through my Geordie translator, and it says:

"The new OE VW GTI ball joints that you need will fit your current EK wishbones. When you get the new ball joints fitted, ask for the current ones back (the ones that are on now). You can then sell them on."

They will be longer.ie the threaded part that fits into the hub will be further out.

They will be longer.ie the threaded part that fits into the hub will be further out.

Ah thats what I'm getting confused about - I thought because it has slight -camber now, if I put these new ball joints on which are wider again, I thought it may throw it more to camber! but it will give it more of a 'wider track' taking the strain off the cv joint.... Is that right?!? :blush:

Edited by Sara

Ah thats what I'm getting confused about - I thought because it has slight -camber now, if I put these new ball joints on which are wider again, I thought it may throw it more to camber! but it will give it more of a 'wider track' taking the strain off the cv joint.... Is that right?!? :blush:

Yes, you will be back where you started, probably have to file the top hole in the strut to get the camber right.

It will make the track wider as it should be and give you excessive neg camber, you need to then elongate the top holes on the struts to give the correct camber