Advice on swirl marks?

Hi all,

Ive had my lupo since september now, and no matter what i use eg: polish's etc there are still fine scratches in the car paint work, so really i need some advice on how to get the paintwork back to showroom standard, if that is possible :/

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Either take it to a pro (prob £200 for paintowrk correction) or get a rotary polisher and have a go yourself. You wont remove heavy swirling by hand. Some products are good at masking them though, what colour is the car?

I chose the latter, got a machine for £30, and then spent £20 on pads and polishes. Its quite fun actually!

Either take it to a pro (prob £200 for paintowrk correction) or get a rotary polisher and have a go yourself. You wont remove heavy swirling by hand. Some products are good at masking them though, what colour is the car?

I chose the latter, got a machine for £30, and then spent £20 on pads and polishes. Its quite fun actually!

My Lupos dark grey, i enjoy cleaninig cars anyway, so i guess a trip to halfords is calling, do you recommend any polishs specifically?

SRP fills the swirls for a few weeks but theyre back after the car gets dirty and you give it a good wash. I wax mine as much as possible but the swirls are always there in the sun. Needs machine polishing ideally but ive gone past the point of worrying now, especially when a massive stone battered my bonnet on the motorway a few weeks after i got the whole front end painted :(

SRP fills the swirls for a few weeks but theyre back after the car gets dirty and you give it a good wash. I wax mine as much as possible but the swirls are always there in the sun. Needs machine polishing ideally but ive gone past the point of worrying now, especially when a massive stone battered my bonnet on the motorway a few weeks after i got the whole front end painted :(

I read somewhere SRP being like that, and its great for that, but i may try meguiars scratchX see if that does anything. oh and stonechips! tell me about it, my car is peppered with them, mind you what do you expect from a 7 year old car. Although the main reason for the fine scratches is that the previous owner clearly took the car to a petrol station car wash and used the dreaded brush! :angry2:

You won't get very far by hand, SRP is your best bet as it'll mask lots of the damage.

No car that's used will stay defect free for long so chasing 100% perfection is a waste of time and compromises the clearcoat for short term gain.

It takes a while to get decent with a rotary and not leave holograms etc. Easily not spotted under certain light sources which makes people think they've machined the panel well when in fact they haven't.

I read somewhere SRP being like that, and its great for that, but i may try meguiars scratchX see if that does anything. oh and stonechips! tell me about it, my car is peppered with them, mind you what do you expect from a 7 year old car. Although the main reason for the fine scratches is that the previous owner clearly took the car to a petrol station car wash and used the dreaded brush! :angry2:

take it from me the older the car the harder it gets 13 year old rosa this year!!

T Cut and a good wax thats all i used n its coming out all good nowadays mum never cared for the car :<

did take me a few good cleans and recoats to get it all good

Yeah you could use a bit of T cut to begin with, everyone slates it but for bad swirls it takes the edge off. My dad has just bought a black 55 reg 330d and the paint was so flat it just looked cloudy. Quick once over with t cut, once over with SRP and then a coat of Meg's Carnauba Wax, and it looks 100x better. At that point now where its not going to get better by hand, but the difference is amazing. Just keep on top of it with the wax and it should come up nicely when you wash it.

Yeah you could use a bit of T cut to begin with, everyone slates it but for bad swirls it takes the edge off. My dad has just bought a black 55 reg 330d and the paint was so flat it just looked cloudy. Quick once over with t cut, once over with SRP and then a coat of Meg's Carnauba Wax, and it looks 100x better. At that point now where its not going to get better by hand, but the difference is amazing. Just keep on top of it with the wax and it should come up nicely when you wash it.

good taste, i use the exact same combo, ok hate it when dad asked me to help him with his vauxhall estate took ages to do lol

T cut abrasives are pretty harsh and don't diminish like with scratch X which is why scratch X is reccomended for use by hand.

There's a side by side test of polishes/glazes used by hand on detailingworld that dave kg did if you have a look.

I found scratch X rubbish.

...and on DW didn't SRP come out pretty much the best? I would use a couple of coats of SRP, Black Hole and wax.

Then learn about washing the car to minimalise swirl marks. With all the dust in the air I wouldn't try anything this weekend.

Cheers for the the advice guys! Well, i think the best way will be buying a buffer, and trying the SRP first. I have used SRP before, and it normally does a very good job, but i still think it lacks something :/ maybe im just a perfectionist. The best polish i have found up to now (ive used meguiars, P21S etc) is Showroom shine that i bought off ideal world (yes i was shocked aswell), and it makes a fantastic shine but it doesnt remove the swirls. I must admit since getting the car and polishing it nearly every weekend (that sounds rather anal) the car gradually starts to look better :)

Cheers for the the advice guys! Well, i think the best way will be buying a buffer, and trying the SRP first. I have used SRP before, and it normally does a very good job, but i still think it lacks something :/ maybe im just a perfectionist. The best polish i have found up to now (ive used meguiars, P21S etc) is Showroom shine that i bought off ideal world (yes i was shocked aswell), and it makes a fantastic shine but it doesnt remove the swirls. I must admit since getting the car and polishing it nearly every weekend (that sounds rather anal) the car gradually starts to look better :)

OMG.

So somebody buys that stuff. :lol:

You do wash the car before using it don't you?

OMG.

I dont clean the car with it, i dont have the guts, niether have i taken a lump of tar nor graffitied the paint work, but honestly it is really really good, and it smells good! And you cant beat it as a glass cleaner niether, i cannot praise it enough :D

OMG.

I dont clean the car with it, i dont have the guts, niether have i taken a lump of tar nor graffitied the paint work, but honestly it is really really good, and it smells good! And you cant beat it as a glass cleaner niether, i cannot praise it enough :D

Thats OK then.

Edited by 99hjhm

^ Yea thats pretty good,

Megs Scratch X is terrible imo,

Superguard scratch remover is totally awesome imo, Probably not what you need now though,

How about megs 3 step?

Il update a cleaning products thread in the lounge in a bit, Iv had a load more stuff turn up so il take a pic of the collection.!

Well im going to try the zaino, and some autoglym products, and i will post feedback next weekend after ive spent a day doing it, and i'll let you know if it worked, i really hope it does :)