Engine Conversion Advice

Rustym

Right iv been lookin around the forums for a fair while and i have struggled to find any info on converting a 1.4 75bhp engined car to a 1.4 100bhp. Is there a lot more work involved in this than using a 1.6 polo engine (iv read that using the lupo gti engine is a LOT more work due to the wider front track ect). Also iv read that the 1.8t conversion is not a lot more work than the 1.6 gti engine if any but the lump will cost me a fair bit more. Also do i need to use the whole loom for the gti/1.8t engines rather than just the engine bay loom for the 1.4 100bhp engine? Any info would be really helpfull. Thanks, Russ. P.s please dont tell me to buy a new car or tell me about my insurance, i dont want to change my car iv got the car looking exactly how i want it and im in love with it :D So will not be changing it, i also want a car that will shock people and be a bit different (not that any of these conversions are ground breaking!!!) Cheers, Russ

have a reasd through the projects section mate.... quite a bit of information in there.

im looking to do the same conversion but i havent found any sound advice, im just gathering bits from here and there.

it makes it more difficult because there isnt a workshop manual available from anyone here so im still on the hunt for that.

You looking to do the newer 1.8t engine or the old one?

im going for the old one due to cost. Ive been advised by my vw mate to use the vr6 gearbox as well.

most of them are around 150bhp for the older engines... this is easily ramped up though.

cost of parts depends on new or old, that bit you will have to hunt for yourself as its your wallet.... plenty of parts for scrap money on ebay or ring round your local scrap dealers and see if they have any turbo's in etc.

Like i said above im still hunting for information about whats needed, but your looking at block, gearbox etc... ecu, loom, and all the ancillaries to go on the engine.

I was advised to go with the vr6 gearbox.

you can get second hand engine for around £500-£1000, gearbox roughly £150, loom varies, ecu £100, custom mounts depends on where you go, mine will be around £100.

The biggest issue for information so far is wiring... the rest seems quite straight forward.

Okay i tihnk custom mounts and the like are a bit out of my league so im now looking at the 1.4 or 1.6 conversions. Is there much more work involved in the 1.6 over the 1.4 and could any one give me a list of the parts required? Also can someone please clear up the whole engine bay loom or full interior loom? Cheers, Russ

The engine drops straight onto the original mounts and gearbox and as far as I know you only need the engine loom, but the part that confuses me is the whole clutch pedal thing being different. How do you sort this out? Also how do the exhaust systems differ? Cheers

what clutch problem?

i havent got that far yet as im in an auto... im looking to do a full manual conversion and i will be using the polo pedal box etc.

if there is a difference, can you not just swap over the whole lot?

personally id just get a lupo performance system then get a custom downpipe made... or weld it yourself, to match the polo manifold.

Basically I think the one clutch pedal is cable and the one is hydrolic so the stabdard lupo one has to be replaced with a polo one, I think you can just swap the clutch pedal over but this won't affect you as you need a whole pedal box due to being am auto as standard. Cheers

Also do i need the ignition barrel and keys or what? because my keys dont match atm and was wondering would the barrels from the polo gti doors and boot be the same as the lupo ones so i could get a full set of matchin locks and ignition barrel with keys? Cheers, Russ

right if your going polo gti you will need the full loom and clocks keys the lot and if you go sport life would be easyer if you did the same . both these engines run flyby wire so you will have to get the peddles from the donnor car as well so with the work you might as well forget the sport swap as pound for pound its not going to get much bhp for ££££ i would go gti if your swapping engines !

if you can get a lupo gti engine and gearbox you will need the subframe as well and then convert to hydrolic clutch too its not as hard as most think as all the holes are in the bulkhead anyway

hope that helps

carl

cheers for the heads up on that carl... appreciated :)

for the money it costs for all the parts (roughly 1500) you may as well either go polo gti, or 1.8t

I think you will need more than £1500 to do a 1.8t engine conversion, even if u did everything yourself.

i mean the cost of parts mate...

just had a quote from a local scrappy for £1350 for all the parts from a polo gti for the conversion.

The 1.8t wasnt far off this.

I have a friend that will be doing the conversion for me cheap...

just hard finding the information needed, lupos arent the most common of cars.

Seen that a vr6 engine fits so im going to look at that option as well as i can get the parts dirt cheap.

Are you adding the price for custom driveahafts making? Vr6 clutch gearbox all linkages etc? The wiring loom splicing? Custom exhaust? Intercooler? Intercooler pipe work? Brakes?? Not to mention all the other of little bits that people forget about lol

i never include chassis mods in the price of an engine conversion.... the prices i get are for the parts required to change engines... brakes and suspension etc is completely seperate... needed yes, but seperate.

I'll be looking into what brakes fit from other golfs once i get a chance. (possibly golf gti?)

For the polo gti conversion the price of £1350 was for polo pedal box, pedals, engine, gearbox, clutch, cables, wiring loom, polo engine mounts, polo ecu, ignition, keys. I think that was about it.

Pretty much the cost of a smashed donor car without the hassle of having to take out all the bits myself.

The vr6 is cheap for me to buy, and would probably be cheaper for me to put in the car than any other engine... my mate runs a vw garage/conversion place and has done quite a few vr6 conversions into various golfs and pickups etc.

as far as i know the vr6 is cable throttle (and clutch) so is my lupo so thats a few less brackets to make up. i think one vr6 shaft fits? and then ill need another one custom made... or adapted, the engine mounts wont cost much to make as i daresay he will fabricate them in house.

The loom is going to be the biggest challenge but he knows his way around the vr6, its just the lupos loom he would have to figure out... meaning cost.

dont suppose anyone reading this thread has a wiring diagram from the lupo do they?

Are you adding the price for custom driveahafts making? Vr6 clutch gearbox all linkages etc? The wiring loom splicing? Custom exhaust? Intercooler? Intercooler pipe work? Brakes?? Not to mention all the other of little bits that people forget about lol

I'd say not, lol.

as well as.... LSD, guages, short shift?, uprated mounts, custom pipework, hoses, mapping, filter, shallow sump, dumpvalve?, the list does go on and on and on.....

For my AFH conversion i kept my standard keys, ignition barrel, clocks, immobilizer and interior loom and just swapped the engine loom and ecu, then used vag-com to adapt the new ecu to work with my clocks and immobilizer etc, and it works flawlessly.

If you can get hold of someone with a fully registered vag-com its just a 2 minute job and can save you a lot of time and money