5 and 6 speed gearbox

forsh21

Hi,

Looking at buying a 6 speed gearbox, what is the differece between them (5 / 6 speed) apart from one having 5 gears and the other having 6 gears :rolleyes:

Example 5th gear 70mph - just over 3300rpm

6th gear 70mph - ??????????

Cheers dudes

Edited by forsh21

Im sure ive read a review on the gti somewhere, it says it sits nicely at 3200rpm @ 70mph.

And 0-60 is a fraction of a second faster on the 5speed.

5speeds are the ones that are made of chocolate so it seems, they melt.

Have you not posted this up already? Like a few months back

If you use the search bar theres a full topic already with the comparrisons in gears and 0 - 60 etc

Bottom line is, 6th gear in the 6 speed is the same as 5th gear in the 5 speed so dont expect any higher top end speed

Some people argue that the 6 speed is better because you always have a gear in the power range but it is slower to 60 as it requires an extra gear. The 5 will go up to, I think it's, 58mph in 2nd gear which is practically 60 mile an hour

Sam

Have you not posted this up already? Like a few months back

If you use the search bar theres a full topic already with the comparrisons in gears and 0 - 60 etc

Bottom line is, 6th gear in the 6 speed is the same as 5th gear in the 5 speed so dont expect any higher top end speed

Some people argue that the 6 speed is better because you always have a gear in the power range but it is slower to 60 as it requires an extra gear. The 5 will go up to, I think it's, 58mph in 2nd gear which is practically 60 mile an hour

Sam

I don't think i did lol il have a look now, so you think its not worth doing?

and a six speed box will not fit a 5 speed car, the engine block's are different.

I

5speeds are the ones that are made of chocolate so it seems, they melt.

wrong

lupo gti 5 speeds are fine-polo gti 5 speeds are made of chocolate

lupo gti and polo gti boxes are not the same

I did hear that the 6-speed is slightly bigger in diameter and won't mount in the 5-speeds engine block but like I said I only heard this, not 100% myself.