VW Warranty

Just a quick question,

I bought my Polo GTI from JCT600 Wakefield 6days ago.

It has what seems like a Syncromesh problem between 1st and 2nd. I never noticed during the test drive as I didnt push first gear. It shifts fine below 2-3krpm but above this, no matter how slowly you change gear, it crunches.

From what Ive read its a really common issue with these cars.

The car is a 2007 and has done 30400miles. I have warrenty on the car, will this be covered?

Surely cant say its wear and tear when Ive only done 200 miles in it.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chance are it will be covered, will probably want you to authorise the diagnosis (cost of dropping, and stripping the box) and will want to charge you if for any reason it's not covered. As long as the servicing it there, VW should pay, if not, JCT will legally need to repair it, AFAIK.

Its been serviced at 15000 and last week at 30000. Its really frustrating. I just phoned my local VW garage and they said "You only bought it 6 days ago its not on, it needs sorting asap. We'll call you back in the next 30mins to arrange it booking in"

I hope they do!

VW reliability eh! :neutral:

Just got a call from VW and I think im pretty much ****ed.

They said they suspect the second gear syncro ring to need replacing as it crunches under heavy acceleration, however they are not prepared to pay for the box stripping and that I need to go back to where I bought it.

Theyll provide me with an invoice saying they suspect that it needs replacing to take to where I bought the car but thats all they can do.

Ive only had it 10 days and cant afford to pay for it fixing myself!

Any Ideas? :(

Ah right sorry. Take it back to Wakefield, they have to sort it.

You are not using the manufacturers warranty, you are using the warranty that the dealer has to provide upon selling you the car, that states the car should be in reasonable condidtion considering its age and mileage - I would not consider it reasonable to need a replacement 'box at this age.

Have a google about this, there will be plenty of info about

I suspect (dealers are never good at explaining) that if you authorise the cost i.e. you sign a piece of paper to say you will pay if it's not manufacturer fault, and should it be manufacturer, they/VW/selling dealership will pay.

If they don't, i'd call Ombudsmans, Trading Standards, VW CS, as they really should be covering it, they've already admitted liability by offer to cover the cost of the part.

Yeah Its out of Manufactur warranty. I think its in "extended warranty". Its a Febuary 2007 car and I got in covered under VW extended warranty for 12months from purchase.

Ive just rang Wakefield VW and there going to call me back. Im gonna see what they say when I explain Leeds VW have noticed the fault.

Im so annoyed its untrue. I go to USA in 2 days so would like to get the work booked and logged in before I have owned the car any longer.

Also Ive joined UKPOLOS.net and theres a few threads in there with these boxes having this problem. So VW cant deny knowledge.

Thanks for all the advice and replies.