Twin Weber 40 IDFs

jacko gti

can you even get an idf manifold? tbh carbs are all cool but outdated to say the least, charger will give more gains.

Do you defiantly mean carbs? or TB's?

What i would like to know is why you'd take an advanced fuel injected engine and go back in time to use carbs? Id expect you'd actually see a loss in performance, for one you would have to loose the vvt as you could not change the fuelling at the switch over point on the carb, without jetting it too rich at the lower end of the range.

No offence, but do you honestly know what your taking about?

Do you defiantly mean carbs? or TB's?

What i would like to know is why you'd take an advanced fuel injected engine and go back in time to use carbs? Id expect you'd actually see a loss in performance, for one you would have to loose the vvt as you could not change the fuelling at the switch over point on the carb, without jetting it too rich at the lower end of the range.

No offence, but do you honestly know what your taking about?

lol no offence taken,

they are throttle bodies (tb's) but just called carbs in the name, i have a friend running these on a 106 rallye 8v and his is pushing 147bhp and leaves mine for s**t

cheers

Would have thought it to be an easier set up on a single cam 8v engine mapping wise though ?

lol no offence taken,

they are throttle bodies (tb's) but just called carbs in the name, i have a friend running these on a 106 rallye 8v and his is pushing 147bhp and leaves mine for s**t

cheers

Fuel injection or venturi flow?

TB's use fuel injection, Carbs use venturi flow to draw the fuel in.

I think you'll struggle to get through an MOT on carbs?

Don't quote me on that though

you will struggle more with a supercharger lol if u go to a legit MOT garage you will struggle with a hell of alot of modifications lol

a supercharger will totally destroy emissions, plus it would be pointless to me to supercharge it and leave the cat in any way lol

tbh i would go supercharged, my brother compared his supercharged 172 to a TB'd 172 and the supercharger decimated all! lol

supercharged car deliver power pretty much in the same way any N/A car does, lag free power right from the start, a charger will give you more power, and deliver the power same as TB's would so it makes sence to supercharge to me :D

So there defiantly not Webber idf's then.

IDF's are "downdraft" carbs. As in they stand up like seen on the top of gt40 engines.

I really dont think you mean that sort of carb.

Do you mean ITB's?

oh thats embarassing sorry mate a tad mistake i didnt realise i copied and pasted the wrong item yeah i did mean the itb's sorry mate silly mistake, i wondered why we was'nt agreeing

Lol rite that makes more sense now.

There was a guy on here a while back that ITB'ed his GTi engine. I think it managed 167bhp and i think it cost about £4500.

linconshirelupogti i think is his username, Its his old car now as he sold it a long time ago.

John

Why go for individual throttle bodies? Just get the twin 40 type. This will turn out slightly cheaper as you are not using 4 separate linkages, just one joining the 2 twins. What ECU system are you thinking of going for, as this will be a factor in your price too? When you take into the equation that a second hand Eaton supercharger can be had for £150 and ran on standard internals and a space plate, the overall price could well be the same.

:yes:

Me thinks mr mitch might be behind that!

IDF's wouldn't work anyhow. And how would you set up a carb to work with VVT?

Carbs are used on older engines because the fuel injection systems back then were alot less advanced than we see in modern technology. The lupo uses an advanced fuel injection system, and i honestly think there would be no gains from using carbs.