How reliable really are GTi's....genuinely!

rh203

I think it depends on the car to be honest and whether you're lucky and get a faultless one or you get problems. I think that applies to pretty much most manufacturers as well.

I mean looking at the history of my Lupo Sport, it's had the pedal box done at 29k but that caused the clutch to wear early so that was done at 32k, new coil pack needed and a couple of other things done. Compared to my prevsious cars, which were all Renaults my Lupo has had the most repair work done on it. Fortunately for me it means that all the problems should have been ironed out and I've not had any issues in the last two years and it's now got 41k on it.

Yet I've known people with Renaults that have had problem after problem. I know they don't have that same heavy duty feel that VAG cars have, I've never had an unreliable Renault!

Edited by Alex_225

My GTI is 9 years old (2001 X reg) and has had the following in the 6 years I've owned her:

- 2 sets of tyres

- 2 cambelt services

- 2 high level brake lights

- 4 brake light switches

- 1 headlight ignition & bulb

- 3 aircon services

- 2 sets of wipers

- 2 sets of brakes (front & back)

- 1 small amount of welding on the exhaust manifold on a bracket

- 1 bonnet cable (as the other snapped)

- 1 lock for the drivers side (as a result of the delocking kit not working properly)

- 1 aerial (after some pikey scumbag stole mine)

- 1 numberplate light

- 1 temp sensor (after getting a horrid eggy smell when cold for a week or so)

It has (touch wood) never broken down and still starts every morning without a problem. It only needed new front wipers to get it through its MOT.

Problems I've got at the moment that haven't been resolved:

- Oil breather hose has a small crack in it

- Starter motor overruns

- High level brake light needs replacing (again)

- Bubbly roof paint

- Rear washer doesn't work

I don't think there's anything else to add to the list... certainly not off the top of my head. Not bad really - most expensive thing to go wrong was the headlight ignition.

Thankfully (again, touch wood) nothing particularly major has gone wrong.

Have you checked the plastic connector behind the nearside passenger plastic panel where the seat belt comes over. Mine had come undone (Must of popped out trying to use the rear jet during the cold spells)

Had my 2001 GTi from Dec 02 and bought it from the stealers with only 10k on the clock.

Now 89k on the clock and had the following issues.

Ignition switch went within the 1st year of ownership.

On my 4th windscreen (Joys of continous road works travelling on country A roads)

Water temp sensor replaced

On my second 3rd brake light.

Rear washer jet connector came undone near the passenger nearside seat, soaking the speaker panel

Front nearside Xenon washer jet needs looking at (Not coming out the bumper)

3rd gear sometimes plays up when changing gear

Clutch pedal has gone flat to the floor twice while waiting in traffic

Just got the car back after 3 weeks, due to having problems with the electric windows, central locking and radio volume not working. Turns out it was the wire harness in the drivers A pillar between the door, that had snapped 6 wires over time. Stung £300 in labour finding that one at a non franchised garage.

Still brings a smile to my face driving it though and would recommend one to anyone.

slightly crazy considering my 1.2 polo S on a 52 plate was only manufactured 1 year after. The interior felt so much more robust and better built. I didn't have a single problem in two years of ownership. The only thing that needed to be changed was the block temperature sensor which was £14. I have already spent a hell of alot more than that repairing the lupo :(