Vibration through steering wheel when braking?

Nothing major, just starting to get a bit irritating. I've had it before but it's started to get worse lately. Whenever I brake my steering wheel moves from side to side a bit - almost like a harsh vibration. Is it anything to be worried about? Anyone have any ideas of what's causing it? I'm not sure whether the discs have warped. The discs and pads have not long been replaced so I shouldn't need new ones.

Sorry if this has been posted before - I did have a search but couldn't find much that was relevant.

Thanks in advance :) x

One of my dads old cars did this but was pretty bad, could have brought about Vibration White Finger lol and it turned out to be warped discs.

Does it still brake normally or does it feel different (through the pedal)?

Sounds like there warped, i had it on mine a little and again not long after new disks, your pushing them little brakes to hard ;).

EDIT; to add that if they are warped you can get them skimmed but may as well get new.

Edited by lupoluke

Never found anybody that will skim discs cheaper that getting new ones, Lupo ones will be so cheap(Compared to some), that it's not worth thinking about skimming.

Does sound like warped discs Amber.

Hmm okay. Thanks for all the feedback guys, maybe time to get some brembo discs. Nothing special Mark. Just budget parts, serves me right really!

Everything feels normal through the pedal, just my hands get shaken off the steering wheel! :lol:

Are the wheels all balanced, and did you have it before the brakes were fitted?

Did it start to happen as soon as the new parts were fitted?

Also, any hard, or constant braking recently?

Question Time!

My hands get shaken off the steering wheel! :lol:

Sounds dangerous :wacko::lol:

Are the wheels all balanced, and did you have it before the brakes were fitted?

Did it start to happen as soon as the new parts were fitted?

Also, any hard, or constant braking recently?

Question Time!

Sounds dangerous :wacko::lol:

Slight exaggeration but it's pretty annoying.

too often people blame the discs, 9 times out of 10 it's either the caliper sliders are worn or sticky or there's dirt between the hub and disc mating sufaces. it's alot harder and rarer to warp a disc than everyone is led to belive, besides which even if the disc is slightly untrue the caliper is designed so it 'floats' on the sliders and will absorb any movement.

i'd advise to simply remove the caliper sliders and clean and regrease them, also while you're there pop the disc off and give the hub a good wire brushing to clean it up before condeming the discs.

Olly

More parts :(

I have some old discs if you want to try them before bunging new ones on?

Thank you :) I'll see how much Dad can get the brembos for from work and if it's a stupid amount I might take you up on that ;)

I'm sure GSF are cheap as chips on the Brembo bits as well, but i'm not sure how much your Dad would pay.

No worries, maybe let me know before the 28th, and i could run them up?

Thanks Mark :)

And thanks for the advice Olly. Once we get some better weather I'll see if Dad will have a look for me.

its more than likely that your wishbone bushes are worn vibrating when braking is a symptom of this people are always quick to think its a braking issue when its something else

Never found anybody that will skim discs cheaper that getting new ones, Lupo ones will be so cheap(Compared to some), that it's not worth thinking about skimming.

Agreed, However if the hubs are causing the disc to warp, then you will simply warp set after set of discs.

I've seen people put 5 sets of discs on a car in 6 months and every single set go just as bad as the next! That was down to the customer mounting them on a Dirty hub flange. However it's also possible for the hub flange to be warped!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this. :( Changed my brake discs to higher carbon brembo about a month ago. And it cured the vibration for 2 weeks or so, but it's now coming back. Only very slight at the moment but it's there and I think it will get gradually worse. Dad felt the discs today and theres no lip on them and they aren't warped. Could this still be down to wishbone bushes? :huh:

Bumping this. :( Changed my brake discs to higher carbon brembo about a month ago. And it cured the vibration for 2 weeks or so, but it's now coming back. Only very slight at the moment but it's there and I think it will get gradually worse. Dad felt the discs today and theres no lip on them and they aren't warped. Could this still be down to wishbone bushes? :huh:

Wouls think it's still brake related if it did cure it.

I would take the caliper off and take the sliders out(Bits under the rubber boot in the carriers) clean them and regrease them. Were the hubs 100% clean when the new discs went on??

Wouls think it's still brake related if it did cure it.

I would take the caliper off and take the sliders out(Bits under the rubber boot in the carriers) clean them and regrease them. Were the hubs 100% clean when the new discs went on??

Yeah hubs were 100% clean - wirebrushed and emery clothed, then copper slip. Thanks James, will have to have it all off again next weekend to try and find what the problem is :(

I've had a nightmare with mine too recently. Turned out to be the hub, the disc wouldn't seat properly on it and there was some movement there.

If you take a wheel off and spin the disc around check the distance between something fixed to see if it's potentially warped the disc and/or not seating on a poorly fitting hub.

It will continue to warp discs if the hub isn't allowing them to seat properly. I tried 3 sets of discs (none fitted, kept putting the old warped ones on again), pads, and even some calipers (thought it maybe sticking a little).