stereo help

paulbin

ok my lights on my single CD player dont light up, so some of u told me to play with the wires, i took both units out and played with wires and still nothing, so i disconnected it all and re connected it, but this time the stereo has locked up, the thing is wen i got the car i asked VW if they could replace the beta stereo for a gamma stereo, but they gave me no code for it evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" />, well the lights still dont work lol, wot does it look like i have to do?

Well it's doubtful that both sides have gone, although that may be the case... one thing you could try is `re-seating` a cable that attaches the front to the main unit.

To get the front off you need a precision crosshead screwdriver, and there are 6(?) small screws around the facia.

When these are undone, the front should just pull off. There's a ribbon connector cable here that you can play about with, I beleive the lights for the facia are in the actual facia, so if you can't get it working by fiddling with the ribbon cable, you might need to dismantle that...

Good luck!

Edit: That's if it's similar to the 6CD which I think it probably is...

You're a bit stuck without a code, I'd suggest calling the dealership that sold it to you.

There are 10,000 different combinations which isn't that many, but I suspect it might block totally after a certain number of tries.

I'm not aware of any way around it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Good luck with that mate, they cant charge you as a) it's under warranty and cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> it's a faulty piece of equipment, it's their problem and they have to sort it.

What's supposed to happen is that the radio and the ECU are introduced to each other. This means that you can remove the radio, do what you like with it, and as long as you install it back into the same car with all the wires connected, the radio will query the ECU, see it's matched, and not require the code.

This is usually set up at the factory. The problem is that your Gamma radio was supplied later by the dealer, so this matching process wasn't performed. This is why it is asking you for the code. Not much help to you, though. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Mine doesn't, neither do any others I've seen wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

In my last car, also with a Gamma radio, I had the radio removed for over two years, and it quite happily `re-authenticated` itself automatically when I put it back in prior to selling it.

Maybe the matching process is done by the dealers, not the factory. Knowing most dealers, that would mean they wouldn't bother :roll:

oh forgot to say, got in the car tonight, turned it on, and thought have another try at the stereo while waiting for the parents and the stereo comes on biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />