sounds like a old beetle!!

i've got a gti and at the moment when you put any power down it is sounding like a old beetle. i've had a look at the exhaust the best i can up to the cat and where it goes in the plastic under tray but can't see if it is blowing anywhere. has anyone had a simular thing and could help fixing this because it sounds real nastie and if exhaust i don't think it will be on the warranty

Sounds a little bit like what happened to my sport when one of the rollers that the timing belt ran on began to break up . . . I thought it was the exhaust at first as it sounded like it was breathing heavily / wheezing.

Have a look under the bonnet and listen next to the black cover that hides the belt (stuck on left hand side of engine).

If it is that - don't drive it !

No damage will be caused unless the belt breaks but you will need to have the timing belt / tensioner / rollers replaced - cost me £360 at VW.

Hope it isn't that !

all the timers have been done 10000 ago. it went bang on wed night.. oups. got it recovered to the garage and it has sheared the down pipe just after the 4 bolts. needs now a replacement down pipe with cat!!!!! good thing is, it's all on warrenty!!!!!! thnk god for that.

just another little thing but does anyone elses GTI look like the engine is on the beer leaning the right side lowwer looking at the engine from the front or has the gear box mount gone too?