Lupo - models and specifications??

oohweewee

Im not 100% sure on these but im pretty sure the E is bog standard with no electric windows or mirrors and stuff, the S offers a bit more (not exactly clear on what exactly) and the SE is the "premium" line with electric windows central locking and can have heated seat and aircon as extras. as said not 100% sure but this is just the jist.

E. Available with 1.0, 1.4 and 17SDI engines

This is the entry level specification, there are very few creature comforts but twin airbags, BETA radio cassette, height adjustable drivers seat, Start upholstry on early models which changed to Strike. Later models also had ABS as standard whereas earlier models had it as an option for about £250. Electric windows and Central locking (NOT remote) were also an option for about £450. The exterior is identified by black rubbing strips, roof trims and on early models door mirrors. A 1.0 will be badged as "Lupo" a 1.4 as "Lupo" and "1.4" the SDI as "Lupo" and "SDI". The standard wheels were 13" steel. 13" and 14" wheels were an option and on earlier car 15" were available from your dealer.

S. Available as 1.4 or 1.7SDI

This was the top level at UK launch. Standard upholstry was Plaza, the car had the same stereo but added electric windows, central; locking cupholder and storage drawer (although this became standard on later "E" models as well) the front seats had "esy entry" which meant that when folded to gain access to the rears seat the front seats jump a little to improve access. This model also had opening rear window vents as standard. This model is distr=inguished externally by body coloured mirrors, roof trims and rubbing strips.

SE. Avaialble as 1.0, 1.4 and 1.SDI

There are two types of SE. The first was availble breifly in the year 2000 these are basically "E" models with 13" softline alloys, they were offered at a reduced price and some had an SE decal on the front wing.

The second SE is more special although still based on an "E". These had a choice of black or fresca Green paint (this green paint was only available with this model.) the interior had a special trim (I think called Shark) which was black with a sage green insert, they came with 14" suzuka alloys, a leather steering wheel (the only Lupo to get one as standard as side from the GTI) leather gearknob and handbrake this was perforated leather not the smooth style ones in the GTI or model with optional leather. This model came with a bag in the same fabric as the seats and with tinted tail lamps (often refered to as "Cambridge" lamps after a special edition in Europe)

The next model is the Sport. Available with 1.4 100ps and 1.4 TDI engines

This model is probably best split into petrol and diesel as there are a few difference between the two, basic Sport equipment in addition to the S was 14" Kyalami Alloys, front fog lamps (with electric mirrors on later models) and ABS on petrols(and later TDIs) ealy Sports came with "Tom" upholstry which was vey brightly coloured with cartoon mice and cats on, this was later changed to interwoven velour with sportier seats from the GTI.

Petrol Sports have a central single exit exhaust and are badge as "Lupo" "16V". They also have rear disc brakes.

Diesel sports don't have the central exit exhaust, they could opt for opening rear window vents (petrol sports could not) These cars are Badged as "Lupo" TDI" the D and I may be red this indicates no differnce in the engine it was just to bring them into line with the rest of the range. TDI model may also be identified by the smug look on their owners faces as they surge about on 144lb ft of torque while paying £35 road tax and acheiving stupid fuel efficiency figures :P

The last model in the range is the GTI. This only came with a 1.6 125ps engine.

They have xenon lights, black headlining 15"Bathurst alloys, twin central exit exhausts diffent bumpers different sills wings....Gamma Cassette with 8 speakers remote locking and alarm leather steering wheel, gearknob and handbrake lever.

This is not an exhaustive list I am sure others will add to the differences. It is worth noting that models with central exhausts (Petrol Sports and GTI's) do not get a full size spare, indeed the GTI gets a can of sealant and a pump to make space for the Exhaust and on GTIs the Battery.

Edited by JB1.0e

Talk about being specific! That definitely needs to be pinned somewhere :)

TDI model may also be identified by the smug look on their owners faces as they surge about on 144 180lb ft of torque while paying £35 road tax and achieving stupid fuel efficiency figures :P

I have been perfecting that look over the last couple of years :P:lol:

i want to know more about my LUPO...

question: the specification is different from a country to another?

Or, what kind of LUPO do i have?

Is a 1.4 75CP, 2001 with:

- Central locking (Flashing LED light to indicate the doors are locked) and electric windows, Air Conditioning, ABS, Front fog lamps, Cupholder, Power steering, Rear manual tilt windows, height adjustable drivers and seat,height adjustable steering wheel, front airbags, Rear wiper, Easy Entry system for rear seat access, Kyalami 14" Alloy Wheel (you can see them in my sig)...

I have this kind of upholstery: blackbluestart1a7e3a0.th.jpg

Edited by johny BOY

Yes there is a difference in the trim level from country to country. Volkswagen will trim the car to suit the market it is to be sold in, the trim levels also differ. I think they are something like Standard, Comfort, trendline, sportline GT GTI but I will see if I can find out. Generally I think British Lupo's will have higher specification than European markets, for example some early european Lupo's came with out airbags.

It may be that your car was fitted with a lot of factory fitted options. If I were to guess I would say yours is more likely to be a high specification "S". I do have a German Lupo brochure on file at home I will see if I can match it more precisely.

Might be worth adding the gti came with alloy bonnet

wings and doors

once one i went to look at had these removed and replaced with steel parts :blink::wacko:

i always take a magnet with me when looking at cars helps to detect filler

and the lack of alloy panels :lol:

OK I have the breakdown of the German market Lupo's I assume they would be similar to the rest of mainland Europe.

The German Market separated the Lupo range in to different brochures for the 3L, FSI, GTI and various special editions (e.g. the GT or Princeton) so To save time at the moment I will detail the basic car.

There are three trim levels

Basis which I would think is equivalent to our "E". This has the Start upholstery

Trendline, this seems to be a "Sporty" model that seems to be the middle of the range. This model has Tom upholstery, electric windows central locking, Kyalami alloy wheels and easy entry seats.

The final model is Comfortline which mimics our "S" model with the same interior trim. It does seem to feature rear speakers in the model in the brochure.

What is interesting is the options list open to German Lupo buyers:

The GTI has ESP

Vario Plus seems to offer 3 rear seats or a split folding rear seats, height adjustable front seats

Stereo Systems

The basic radio seems to be the Alpha

Then there is the Beta (Like all non-GTI Lupo's in Britain)

There is the Gamma (GTI stereo)

There is the option of a removable panel on the Beta and Gamma system

There is a single CD player option and a 6 CD Autochanger option.

There is also the option of Navigation (this was dropped from UK options list after a very short time)

The option of an Alarm was open to German Lupo's seemingly earlier than in the UK

You had the option of either a cupholder and a drawer or a twin cupholder.

There was the choice of Air Conditioning (like UK cars) or Climate Control

You could have the black trim (mirrors, rubbing strips and roof trims) colour coded with "Das Paket Color"

There was a choice of 4 alloy wheels

There was another design of 14" Kyalami (seems to be an 8 spoke design with an indentation where it meets the rim)

Sugo 14" alloy which is the same as the Colour concept in the UK

The wheel that was standard on the SE Lupo in the UK (14" Suzuka) was an option

And the 15" Interlagos (see the colour concept thread)

The open air roof could be finished in Yellow, fantasia green, black, red or dark blue