Wheel spacers

GTi Si

If you change just the back ones, you'll potentially affect the car's handling (theoretically cause more understeer, but you'd really need to try it to be sure).

If you change all of them, the handling should remain the same, but the suspension will become slightly softer.

Make sure you get hubcentric spacers, unless you want to put large amounts of stress on the bolts.

they got a little lip wich locates them onto the wheel wich in turn allows the wheel to locate onto the hub, they not just a round flat plate that can move around

if you use the halfords 'special' plates you wont get the wheel to align onto the hub, and therefore you will have severe vibration wich may cause the wheels bolts to loosen and then snap

I'm impressed with your faith in their thoroughness!

My Mk3 Ibiza was horribly lairy to drive in the wet, would hang the tail out with the slightest provocation. Everyone (and I mean everyone) who wanted to improve the handling found that by adding 20mm spacers to the rear wheels made a night and day difference.

Why? Because they used a Mk3 Golf setup for the front wheels and a Mk4 Polo setup for the rear wheels. And didn't bother to correct for the difference in track width. :roll:

Obviously not saying the Lupo is anywhere near as bad as that, but don't assume these guys are 100% thorough all the time.

well yes, i guess the reality is the Lupo was set up for the best handling in all circumstances including shopping, car parks, round abouts and motorways - not race tracks. So I think it will be the optimum for the cars usage generally - that doesnt mean to say its good at going round bends in the wet, or the dry as I well know.

The thought of adding spacers and softening the suspension seems a silly idea though. I am a purist .

It's safe for when granny puts it into a roundabout too fast - the natural thing to do when you panic is to lift off the gas, which is precisely what needs to be done to recover the situation. If it was set up to do `four-wheel` drifts out the box, granny might find herself sliding sideways into the kerb because she didn't put opposite lock on.

That's cos Timmy went into the corner faster than me with crap tyres. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Anyway, you lifted off `half-way` round. If you'd done that in a car set up with less understeer by default, you might have hit the kerb backwards instead of sideways. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

ive steered clear from spacers, i reckon that rear looks as though the wheels are tucked in lots because the sahpe of the standard rear arch, i converted mines and left wheels sitting as normal and it looks much better so spacing em may just make it look a little off. I am changing to porsche rims soon though that are much fatter and using hub adaptors but wont be going for cheap crap ive had probs with a previous car. Id a esocrt with 18s no spacers used and id to change hub bolts and nuts near enuf every second week well the garage that supplied the wheels did it for some bizzare reason they kept cracking then breaking i eventually got sick of it and opted for 17s without any probs