arch rolling

g60greeny

If your not rolling them yourself then it isnt that much of a pain, thats why you pay money to someone else to do it who has experience in doing it before.

Rear arches are the pain as they are double skinned, and if you have had any repair work on any of them in the past then its more than likely that the repair will need to be done, expect that you may need paint work doing after rolling too.

I have 7.5j et 13 on the front and i am having the arches rolled and slightly pulled, also running a bit of negative camber.

Rears are 8j et 12, i think the inner lip is going to be either cut off and the inner skin seam welded to it further up once formed, of it will be rolled right back and then seam welded and sealed once pulled.

I reckon with a good bit of beating you could get an 8.5 in there. But the offset would be very crucial, depending on the wheel of course.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Arch rolling is basically stretching the metal so it moves outwards further giving you more space, when I have done them at work in the past i've has use of an arch roller that bolts onto the hub, its a good piece of kit and will flare the arches really nice, if you set it up to the desired size, you get all the arches the same.

surely theres not much need to flare the gti arches anyway,they dont look a bad size to be fair,once the lips gone that is :shades:

gti's have a wider track so i wouldnt imagine them to be any larger really than non gti's

I meant the width of the metal is still quite wide, not the space in the arch. Sorry!

You don't gain much by just folding the lip back. Ideally you need to cut the skins apart then reweld them.

If you do just want to fold the lips back, just use a hammer and go easy. :)

I meant the width of the metal is still quite wide, not the space in the arch. Sorry!

You don't gain much by just folding the lip back. Ideally you need to cut the skins apart then reweld them.

If you do just want to fold the lips back, just use a hammer and go easy. :)

If you're going to just fold the lip back I would personally use a tool for fitting skins, that way you're safe and wont put high spots in the arch.

• 10 months later...

Bringing this forum back up as i am looking into getting my arches done in the new year, however im abit confused as i was simply looking at rolling the rears to go wider on the wheels. But im confused as to why anyone would want to roll the front arches as surely your front wheel cant tuck into the arch as you wouldnt be able to turn whilst driving ?

Or are people above just reffereing to flaring when they say rolling the front? for a wider looking stance (like the pick above) ?

Bringing this forum back up as i am looking into getting my arches done in the new year, however im abit confused as i was simply looking at rolling the rears to go wider on the wheels. But im confused as to why anyone would want to roll the front arches as surely your front wheel cant tuck into the arch as you wouldnt be able to turn whilst driving ?

Or are people above just reffereing to flaring when they say rolling the front? for a wider looking stance (like the pick above) ?

Depends on the wheel... Mine wasn't even that low and or hard cornering the top of the tyre caught the arch on the front.

Flaring is pretty hard to do cause the wings tend to buckle, mine have slightly. By flaring I mean creating more of a bubble when looking from the front.

If your front's don't catch, don't bother getting them rolled.

Rolling the fronts gives the same effect as the rears: it lets you run wider wheels without scrubbing.

With regards to being able to turn the wheels, the tops of the tyres stay in the same place when they turn, meaning that you can still steer even when running with tuck.

Oh right yeah i'v never really thaught about that i suppose abit of tuck can be ran on the front. Im not gonna bother with the front anyway i only get the smallest of rub on the front with my bathursts on and only when severly hammering round a corner, dont have a problem with the stretchd summer wheels. Cheers anyway dec