Water pump needs changing!

Hi people! The seal on the water pump on the Lupo 1.4E has gone so ive got a new one ready to be fitted but dont want to take it to a garage because they charge stupid amounts for a simple job. Will this be a hard job or is it a simple remove and replace with the correct tools obviously?

Hi people! The seal on the water pump on the Lupo 1.4E has gone so ive got a new one ready to be fitted but dont want to take it to a garage because they charge stupid amounts for a simple job. Will this be a hard job or is it a simple remove and replace with the correct tools obviously?

If your not mechanically minded then its not a simple job! Its a cam belt off job tbh! You may aswell get the belt and tensioners changed at the same time to save money!

lol im half mechanically minded, if its possible. But i have a very good friend who can change them but doesnt no it yet :) aha. I think they were change a few months ago... u think they need changin still?

because i didnt change them lol the previous owner did...but then after that the water pump went n then he got a polo gti so he never had chance to fit it... n with this weather, cant afford to be loosin antifreeze lol

I would have to say even if the belt is a few months old I would still change the belt and tensioners as they have to come off anyways, That's just my oppinion but I think its worth doing whilst you have the pump off!

because i didnt change them lol the previous owner did...but then after that the water pump went n then he got a polo gti so he never had chance to fit it... n with this weather, cant afford to be loosin antifreeze lol

If you dont know if/whats been changed, change the cambelt, tensioners, aux belt and water pump. Then you know it's good for the next 4 years or 40k miles.

Edit: I wouldn't like to reuse a cambelt anyway, not a good idea, if tyou do, make sure you put it back on so it runs in the same direction as you took it off.

Edited by 99hjhm

Am i right in thinking the waterpump is plastic on lupo 1.4e's?

Mine went, which caused the car to overheat. Took it to the garage that does all my work and he said he put a brass one in.

Think most of the water pumps on VW's in general are plastic dude, tho they do metal impeller ones now!

the new 1 that needs to be fitted is metal aswell... how much will that come to changing all that then? i can get the parts from europart on my discount but strapped for cash at the min

To be honest dude you are probably looking at around £200 - £400 depending on where you go, the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines are one of the harder cambelts to do due to the fact it has two belts and two tensioners!

I use to hate doing them! It would help if you had a mate who is mechanically minded that could do it for you.

• 4 weeks later...

My TDi is due it's first cam belt change. What should be changed at the same time? Just the tensioners or the water pump too?

Yep, fit the full cambelt kit which comes with the tensioners etc, and get the waterpump replaced too :)

Edited by jon_273