cam belt + service

Richud

thanks to the previous owner my car is a year over due its service and i will be getting it done at a VW dealer.

the cam belt and water pump also need doing and i was quoted £377 by VW Sinclair bridgend, now iv had a quote from a local garage for £270.

should i pay the extra and get it done at a dealer or does it not matter where i get it done? dont want to affect the re-sale valu or anything like that.

See what the warranty from the independant garage has in terms of a warranty, it should affect the receipt as long as the receipt are there, but VW warranty is 2 years AFAIK.

Mine was done at my local garage using VW parts as well and because i know them they gave me 2 and a half years warrenty and charged me £220 including water pump, oil and filter change at the same time. Not too bad if you ask me ;)

Cheers, James.

just been to another garage, they quoted £270 for belt and pump but the parts arnt genuine. he said they are made by the same people that make the genuine ones so its not a problem and theres a 12 month warranty.

hmmm

There are only 2 factories in the world, or something like that, that are licensed to make belts for cars, from what i can remember from college lol, so shouldn't really make a difference who the company the belt is from, they should technically be the same as genuine manufacturer ones. :)

Save yourself the cash mate and get it done by the independant garage. Provided they're a garage that you've used before or that come recommended.

I had my Cam belt service done when I got the car, only had 39k on it but was 6 years old so it needed it done. :)