AVY conversion into AHW engined shell

jr

Eevning

not the normal i want to make my lupo faster question but need some guidence

have a ahw engined lupo which im turning into a track car, was orginally going to carry out and started collecting parts for a hybrid build using a 1.6 avy bottom end and a AFH head on stand alone management

looking at my options it may be so much easier for a reliable 125bhp ish go go for a complete avy swap with the loom/ecu etc etc

what issues am i going to face mount wise ? if any considering to my knowledge the ahw block is similar if not identical to the sport block (bar beeing alloy) which is turn is the same as the avy block (to my knowledge)

and any wiring/cluster issues ?

all mounts from polo gti are same as lupo ahw 1400 or any other coded 140016v unit, and will all fit inside the lupo cradle with lupo shafts etc etc i had the avy unit and i have a lupo with avy afh head and t b's on stand alone.

its just the gearbox iirc the motor sits down on the gearbox side

or up on driver side lol either way it's an angled motor

Edited by Mitchell

the widetrack front is only achieved by the bottom ball joints being slightly longer, wishbones etc all same.

ah intresting, though with the addition of 6th the box may be physically bigger hence the subframe beeing a diffrent shape

mitchell, you may be able to answer this, another random though regarding the vvt from the polo/lupo engine, is the varible valve timming purely hydrolic controlled, or is the hydrolic tensioner ecu controlled if that makes sense

as the other idea running round in my head which proberly wont work was to use the avy head, injectors and remapping the ahw ecu if it has the capabilty to run the standard sensors as per the AHW with the advatages of the bigger ported avy head/cams/vvt, im imagining that wont work though

The vvt is oil pressure fed direct from the oil pump, it's controlled by a solenoid valve. Really simple system, I found gains when mapping with it on of off, but others haven't.

The avy head is limited by it's roller rockers, but still it's strong enough to let you rev to atleast 7500 and will withstand powers over 200 bhp. The valves/springs can be uprated if you wish too. With it is the problem with it not being able to have a set of vernier pulleys for it, which is it's downfall. Depends on if you want a high revving na engine I suppose.

John

Cheers for all the info

for spint/hillclimb reasons im now thinging of if its possible to run the polo avy head with a smaller capacity bottom end (say the ahw or sport block) if using the standard avy ecu and loom, and overcomming the problem of a crank/impluse sender beeing diffrent what other issues can you see, bar the water/oil ways not matching

If you are going to run the car in the mod prod hillclimb class, I would stick an AFH in it and leave it as a 1400. Lots of tuning potential.

certainly an avenue i will look into, dont know how mounts would work AFH wise or box stregth (i know this isnt a worry with your box ;) )

been following chris's updates in CGTI with intrest ;)

certainly an avenue i will look into, dont know how mounts would work AFH wise or box stregth (i know this isnt a worry with your box ;) )

Yes, but nothing about the engine. :(

you need the afh casing from timing belt side and lupo mount,

i would think so, i have 1600 gti block flywheel etc afh head. but all boxes the same tbh as long as not a golf one

the block and box are mainly same design , it is even possible to drop the polo gti engine or afh into a mk1 1100 or 1300 golf using all the original mk 1 golf mountings the castings have all the same holes.