ABS Light on and brakes gone funny

Hey,

My ABS light came on at the weekend. The brakes still work, and they still work fine when you slam them on.

This is on my Lupo Gti.

However ... when you're driving slowly and lightly press them they make a banging noise and judder before they start working. They can feel a bit funny when you go faster as well.

I've got it booked in tomorrow to get it fixed but I thought if anyone else has had this?

The pads are fine, loads left on them but it's happened all of a sudden. ABS Sensor maybe?

Also, is it just mine or are the breaks quite spongy on the Gti? They work, and they stop me quick but compared to say, my mums Audi (where the breaks are ridiculously sensitive and responsive) they just feel loose and you have to push quite hard.

Saying that, I tried breaking with my left foot when I was testing the brakes out yesterday in the car park and they're mega responsive with my left but not with my right. I'm pushing the same with both feet, it's just with my left foot its like hitting a brick wall and I stop instantly while with my right it's spongy and not to great.

The discs have been grooved, which I thought would make them better (the car came like it) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Cheers

Could it just be the ABS Sensor? I think its pretty common on GTI's and i s a DIY job.

I recently had my ABS light on but my ABS had actually stopped working. Turns out my wires had broken out of there holdings and warn through.

Edited by electricpanda

I prefer the breaks slightly spongy, gives your more feel, rather than say on or off. Regarding the left/right foot situation. Your used to breaking with your right foot, so it may seem like your pressing the same, but you probably aren't even close.

Let me know how this turns out, mine was doing exactly the same thing recently but all of a sudden seems to have righted itself again, although my ABS light is still on.

Have you reset it to see if it stays off?