GTI Screen Change

99hjhm

I have a cracked screen in my Lupo, been done on thre insurance, coming on thursday.

1. We tried to convince them the GTI screen is different, hopefully they get the idea... But is there any way of checking they have brought the right screen before the takes the old one out?

2. What has to be taken off to get the screenout, prefer taking the bits off myself???

3. I know nothing about modern windscreens, what are the chances of paint damage???

I think the Gti glass is thinner.

So I am not sure how you would check it, apart from a physical check. Ask him on the day he turns up.... if he has no idea then you know what to say!

I would let the windscreen fitter man do all the bits and bobs tbh, as they usually know what they are doing.

Didn't really understand your question of paint damage....

Nicki had a thread with a part number somewhere.

The Lupo screens are bonded on, so there should be no damage at all.

Leave it to them mate, they'll have it done, and if they break it, they pay, but it'll be mirror and tax disc holder i imagine.

Nicki had a thread with a part number somewhere.

The Lupo screens are bonded on, so there should be no damage at all.

Leave it to them mate, they'll have it done, and if they break it, they pay, but it'll be mirror and tax disc holder i imagine.

Yep got the part number, didn't interest them, their technician said it would be all OK though. Just pisses me off people like that have little respect for cars, even my electrician scratched the hell out of my sill, and rear bumper... He said he wouldn't.

The screens are bonded on, so they have to be cut out.. There must be a chance of slight paint damage, people are only human. Having my Audi mirror put on, as I don't want to risk changing it myself.. Heard storys of screens cracking if it's done wrong.

Mine was cracked when I bought the car and had it replaced a few days after having it, rang the insurance and said what it was etc, the guy turned up the next day with the right screen, cut the old one out and replaced my rear view etc and didnt scratch or damage a thing :)

Only thing you may find is annoying stringy bits of rubber around your car where its been cut out lol its perfect now though :D Only tiny thing was the dash looks like a maybe a tad lower but you can only tell if you go to read the number you can see from the outside through the window, it is down a few mm not straight in the little black bit, but its literally nothing B)

Hope all goes well, I just left the guy to it :)

ask him to use plenty sealer as there have been a few on here with leaks after replacement, also 1st question your asked if your roof has rust bubbles and you take it to vw for warranty is.............. has it had glass just so they can fob you off with some bull**** excuse

I've got a couple of big chips in my screen, thanks to Foxy on the way to E38. :P

Do I phone the fitters and let them sort it, or do I phone the insurance and tell them first?

Guess I just phone Autoglass?

Edited by Philplop

I've got a couple of big chips in my screen, thanks to Foxy on the way to E38. :P

Do I phone the fitters and let them sort it, or do I phone the insurance and tell them first?

Yeah just give Autoglass a call and have your insurance details to hand, they'll contact them. I'll be giving them a buzz this week at some point too after managing to pick up a couple of chips recently :(

I've had 2 screen changes on Lupos and neither of them caused any damage to the car, and the VIN number also still lined up properly :)

Best leave it to them as they will have done hundreds before, though I would definitely make sure the one they are putting in is a GTi one. You could measure the thickness with some callipers when they come to fit it, if you want to know for definite! Or maybe have a look at the codes printed on the glass and see if they match up.

I think if you ring your insurance theyll sort it out and book it up for you, chip removal is free dont have to pay excess :)

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

Thanks to the legend that changed my screen!

Total VW mod nut, and guess what car his ex had??? Lupo GTI... Knew all about supercharger conversions(from seen them at shows and looking on CL), problems, everything.

Said he lived in Sutton Coldfield, his ex drove a red GTI with leather, but her name was not Jen... He did know Jen though, even her number plate of the top of his head. Said there was 3 red GTI's in Sutton. Loved my car, said is was as quick to 80 as his R32, not sure if I believe that though... Wasn't sure about the high speed cornering without coilovers.

No damage!! Had a special tool that only Autoglass use, real ace piece of kit.

And he took the time to trim down my Audi compass mirror to fit.

Only one screen listed for the Lupo??, he'd put 2 screens in his ex's GTI with no issues... Mine had had a screen poorly fitted in the past, not even sealed at the bottom, cause they hadn't removed the scuttle panel to fit it.

Edit.. I still don't have a VIN plate that lines up, thing this must be the difference in a GTI screen?

Edited by 99hjhm