First (non fixable) fecking rattle

DJ

OK I have had the car for 4 months now and after managing to sort all the rattles on the previous Loop and having a bit of experience (cup holder tray and door lining) I have come across a new one to me.

It seems to be coming from the drivers side door mirror cover and its like a screw rattling around. Strange thing is that it only materialises on cold days and not when the car is hot (perhaps the wing mirrors dissapate heat).

Anybody got any quick ways of taking off this cover without damage?

Its either that or behind the cloth door insert and I really don't want to be playing around with that.

The alternative is waiting till the cars first service in January and getting competant VW engineers :scoff: to look at it but I don't know if I can cope with it for that long.

Any help?

i'm sure snoop will post some pics from the manual on how to remove the cover, think it's just a pop on with plastic clips though so a screwdriver with some cloth wrapped round it is probably the only way. Strange that you hear it form inside the car though if it's the external mirror, try driving with the window down to pin point it first before taking it appart, could it be the inside bolt holding the mirror on maybe?

Cheers min,

I think it is inside this plastic cover rather than in the door mirror that there is the rattle though.

Its that or behind the fabric trim which if it is I will leave to the good 'ol' boys at VW.

Don't mind taking off the wing mirror cover, can't imagine that being more than a couple of clips but not doing anything more than that.

Best leave it for VW then, great 2 more months of rattles! I'm already getting the piss taken about having a rattly car

i've got a really annoying rattle coming from behind the passenger airbag bit on the dashboard - i just turn the radion up or boot it more to drown it out! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Me too! Sounds like something rocking back and forth, drives me mad. Trouble is my car's been ripped apart so much for ICE + SatNav + RSM that I can't really get VW to fix it.

just thinking about this boys, and it's not like we've paid 40k for a merc is it? i know it kind of pisses you off, but i think i can live with mine....asking the dickheads at the stealership to start taking my dash apart and causing more rattles or electrical faults just isn't on the menu for me...aii :wink:

QUOTE(Loopy Lupo)
just thinking about this boys, and it's not like we've paid 40k for a merc is it?  i know it kind of pisses you off, but i think i can live with mine....asking the dickheads at the stealership to start taking my dash apart and causing more rattles or electrical faults just isn't on the menu for me...aii :wink:

But its not like I paid £4995 for a Ka either is it? You buy a VW and expect rattle free quality (remember the old Golf `ear-ring` advert?).

I will always try to fix a rattle myself like I did on the cup holder, ashtray and bottom door panels (all common Lupo faults and we all know about them) but this is the first one I have come accross that I don't want to mess around with so will be happy for the stealers to take the panel off for me as I am not messing around with the central locking/ alarm and electric window buttons.