N/A engine on open pipe..

LiamD

Quick question.

The exhaust on my VR has epically failed, after having it de-catted, whatever they welded in, is ****e, and has broke. Apart from being stupidly loud and feeling a bit flat on acceleration, could any lasting damage be caused to the engine? I didn't think so, but some lad is convinced I will.

I HAVE to use the car for at least another 2 days like this. Before anyone says a VR6 on open pipes sounds mint and I should leave it, you're wrong. :lol:

I've done this loads of times, you'll be fine. Did Rotherham-Hull and back 4 times in a Ka with just a manifold (Flat out all the way too), and driven my fiesta, saxo and 106 miles without anything either. Did the same with the lupo. Just keep the windows cracked, because the car will fill with fumes and you'll die otherwise. Oh and make sure what there is left of the exhaust is still held on, and doesn't exit out straight onto anything that will be upset by heat.

Edited by cobblers

Ha! I remember driving my Mk1 Golf back from somewhere, and the exhaust fell off from the manifold back. After rescuing it from the middle of the road, I dumped it in the boot, and proceeded to drive home at 120db. Nailing the throttle lead to everyone within half a mile giving me dirty looks.

Fun for 5 minutes, insanely annoying after 10 mins I imagine (although I'd love to hear the Alfa sans rear pipe....)

It's gona be a thirsty one then!!

Not really... 27mpg today going to and from work. Not quite the 37mpg I got on Thursday...

Back to the old G40 way of getting a headache after driving it though. :lol:

Yeah, i remember when the lambda plug (only one lambda on a two lambda exhaust) came out, with the supersprint 1 box system.

It was strangly quieter when it stopped blowing between 6-8k revs, that was a fun journey... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Should not cause any lasting issues. The rear half of the exhaust fell off my Merc a week after I bought the car. It was no louder than when the exhaust was on so I drove it for a year until the next MOT and as the car passed on pretty much everything else I decided to buy a new exhaust and get another years MOT. Had the car two more years and it drives better than it did when I got it.

proceeded to drive home at 120db.

Pah, the Elise is around 128db under full throttle (near the exhaust tails though, not inside the cabin).